What's Accessing my Harddrive?!

Impruv

In Runtime
I'm using an asus laptop and everynight around 8-10 ish ... something perhaps antivirus or something is constantly causing the harddrive light to stay solid and i can also hear the clicking of the harddrive. This is causing my programs to slow down to a crawl and I want to know what's causing it.

I tried closing AVG but the harddrive continues to be in use. Is there a program that can see what the harddrive is doing?

I'm using Vista btw... could it be daily indexing of sorts?

During that time, check your processes and see if there is anything out of the ordinary. Also see how MANY you have. If it is above 60, that is not good. I try to run at about 45-50. Any anti-spyware programs on your computer? Those are possible too. Also check your Scheduled Tasks in Windows to see if anything runs at that time you don't know about.

There are 71 process.

How do I check the scheduled tasks...
I have Windows Defender and AVG; that should be it.

In Vista, it is actually called Task Scheduler

Go to Start > All Programs (Programs if in Classic Mode) > Accessories > System Tools > Task Scheduler.

You also might want to tone down the processes. Each of those processes takes some of your resources. I am only using 53 right now, and I have an Instant Messenger, iTunes, and Internet Explorer up.

Try toning down your msconfig file as well, that will also cut down on the possibility of some foreign software running on your computer. Uncheck everything that is not Windows, Antivirus, Windows Defender, Firewall, Antispyware, and driver related. So for instance I remove Quicktime and Adobe Acrobat Quicklaunch, but I leave Windows Defender and AVG Control Center. Get the idea? Do that, reboot, and tell me how many processes you are down to. ;)

but asus has alot of built in stuff so I don`t know which of those I can turn off.

Can you provide a list of your Asus utilities in there and I will tell you what to take off and what to leave?

processseswc1.png

The following can be safely removed:
ATKOSD
ATKOSD2
batterylife
ehmsas
ehtray
msnmsgr
RtHDVCpl
SynTPEnh
wmpnscfg

Back