What You've Just Bought!

Well thanks to Biden my wages put me squarely in central middle class and I definitely don't think I'd have an easier time over there, especially with your first line. I can get approved for a 350k conventional loan with an 80k USD salary which even with massively inflated prices in my area will net me a nice 2300sqft 4 or 5 bedroom house in a new residential burb that has 2-5Gb fiber access. On the flip side, if I took that same loan and went back to the country (which I plan to do) it'll net me an acre or more of land with the same square footage mobile home. If I went with a used home a lot of these properties currently being sold even have nice 2-3 car separate garages, concrete foundations, renovated and modernized insides, a fence surrounding the entire property, and some of them even have powered gates for less than 300k. At the current conversion rate 200k will still get you relatively the same albeit not as nice but you'd easily be able to afford to upgrade everything within the next year or two after purchasing. There are many other areas that aren't as inflated as here in terms of the housing market.

Easier in respect that there is more freedom to screw up. It's a lot harder to get fired at your job here - I think in France the redundancy process is about two years long. and if you do lose your job or have a medical emergency then you are going to be okay due to higher level of state support versus US. My friend lost his job in Spain and was entitled to 70% of his full salary for 18 months paid by the state. To be honest the UK is one of the worst in Europe for unemployment payout, but many european countries like Spain are very generous. But yeah, there are downsides for sure, most everything is more expensive here, and salaries are lower.

I guess you could say in the US you can climb higher up the tree as an average person, but you also have further to fall.

Easier in respect that there is more freedom to screw up. It's a lot harder to get fired at your job here - I think in France the redundancy process is about two years long. and if you do lose your job or have a medical emergency then you are going to be okay due to higher level of state support versus US. My friend lost his job in Spain and was entitled to 70% of his full salary for 18 months paid by the state. To be honest the UK is one of the worst in Europe for unemployment payout, but many european countries like Spain are very generous. But yeah, there are downsides for sure, most everything is more expensive here, and salaries are lower.

I guess you could say in the US you can climb higher up the tree as an average person, but you also have further to fall.
Those bullet points are also catered to by your employer. Basically the difference from me being at Lockheed to D.R. Horton. Most all of that is covered, and in terms of being fired it's hard to get fired from a decent employer if you're a good employee. For instance, my wife is still on her 90 day probationary period with the new job she took last month. This morning she was heading to work but the baby is sick. She asked me if I could go and get him which I said I would. An argument happened later with her slinging baseless accusations my way so I told her she can get the baby since clearly she isn't at work yet (she had the opportunity to leave him here as a preface). She came back and said she was fired, which caused more arguments. I got her to leave to return her badge and things, and they told her they'd give her another chance. I'll assume probably with accuracy she gave them some BS that slandered me, but still the point remains.

Those bullet points are also catered to by your employer. Basically the difference from me being at Lockheed to D.R. Horton. Most all of that is covered, and in terms of being fired it's hard to get fired from a decent employer if you're a good employee. For instance, my wife is still on her 90 day probationary period with the new job she took last month. This morning she was heading to work but the baby is sick. She asked me if I could go and get him which I said I would. An argument happened later with her slinging baseless accusations my way so I told her she can get the baby since clearly she isn't at work yet (she had the opportunity to leave him here as a preface). She came back and said she was fired, which caused more arguments. I got her to leave to return her badge and things, and they told her they'd give her another chance. I'll assume probably with accuracy she gave them some BS that slandered me, but still the point remains.
Fair enough, so just gotta make sure you get a good employer then essentially.

Ack!
My neighbors tree went down yesterday and took the power lines with it from our street. That sent a power surge to our house and we lost all of our kitchen appliances and the garage door opener too. Just got off the phone with our home insurance and we will be getting one of their vendors over here to asses the damages. The kitchen victims look like the fridge, dishwasher, microwave and range.
Going to drop off the food at Brenda's mom house and stuff her fridge

Last edited:
It is called Meemic. Through Michigan educators insurance for teachers.
https://www.meemic.com/
They have someone scheduled to come out on Monday morning on the 19th but until then we can not cook anything from the oven or microwave.... Looks like its Subway and Little Caesars pizza take out for this week. $500. deductible and a measly $250. food allowance.

That right there is why I bought a generator. Well, that and I'm 10 miles from the ocean and hurricane season can be a bitch sometimes. :ROFLMAO:
I do have a 7500 watt generator.
But that did not help with a power surge that happened in less than 2 minutes! Power was restored in less than 2.5 hrs. Not worth the trouble to get the generator fired up. Fridge, Range Microwave ...ect. was DOA so it did not matter when power was restored

I'm getting a xfer switch installed so I can have enough power for 3 rooms and possibly the AC/heat. (I have a 9200w) But with that switch comes the mandatory updated breaker box. So have to save the pennies first.

But your right... Doesn't help, if the things you want to power now longer work. So I guess it is a moot point. LOL But I do feel for ya. Few years ago, we lost a chest freezer full of food. It sucked to toss almost a grand worth of food that I couldn't save.

Back
Top Bottom