What You've Just Bought!

Yeah i've seen it on AV receivers but not in hi-fi amps. Have you seen those sub stacks for home theatre that REL sell ? you can buy 6 of their top end subwoofers as a kit and they stack 3 on top of each other, and you place three on the left and three on the right. I'd like to hear that. Sounds like overkill to me but probably very fun. I'm pretty sure i'd find a single 1000 watt 15 inch sub powerful enough, let alone six.

https://rel.net/uk/shop/powered-subwoofers/reference-series/no-32/
Yea I've seen them, and tbh it's very dumb. Also their website is pretty trash. Anyways, stacked subs is a pro audio thing to push as much air in one direction as possible which would be toward a crowd of bodies that will absorb it. It's actually really dumb for surround sound. You want the subsonics to fill the whole space when there's a proper crossover involved between highs, mids, and LFE. In pro audio I always learned that sub placement or how they are faced doesn't matter because it isn't "directional" but in the past 2 years I learned that this ONLY applies to live shows and the gear used. I've had to stop using a lot about what I learned with pro audio in terms of traditional home audio. I've had 2 subs for a while now, but last year I made the move to changing my low-mid tuned sub (8") to have a placement to the rear/side of me. This made a world of difference in filling subsonic empty space. While redoing my room after the flooring was replaced, I actually snatched the 12" sub from my home theater and put it in here. I put it off to my right and slightly behind the side channel an equal distance from my chair as the 10" originally tuned for sub 100hz which is on the left next to the front channel. The idea behind this is let's use a racing sim for example. If you're sitting in a big block car in real life that rumble surrounds you, you feel it everywhere. If all subs are in front of you, there is no sonic presence behind you because of the acoustics of the room you're in. Switching things up, I turned the 12" sub for 100hz and down, and changed the 10" to low mid (100-190) and setting my bass redirection accordingly in my sound card software. This has almost completely filled the void when playing a game or watching a movie where the rear doesn't lack low end. I have since considered redesigning my sub placement for my game room addition for a front/rear placement or adding a 3rd sub with the crossover sitting at 190 to handle all frequencies picking up the rear.

tl;dr, I definitely would not get stacked subs even for hi-fi.

Yea I've seen them, and tbh it's very dumb. Also their website is pretty trash. Anyways, stacked subs is a pro audio thing to push as much air in one direction as possible which would be toward a crowd of bodies that will absorb it. It's actually really dumb for surround sound. You want the subsonics to fill the whole space when there's a proper crossover involved between highs, mids, and LFE. In pro audio I always learned that sub placement or how they are faced doesn't matter because it isn't "directional" but in the past 2 years I learned that this ONLY applies to live shows and the gear used. I've had to stop using a lot about what I learned with pro audio in terms of traditional home audio. I've had 2 subs for a while now, but last year I made the move to changing my low-mid tuned sub (8") to have a placement to the rear/side of me. This made a world of difference in filling subsonic empty space. While redoing my room after the flooring was replaced, I actually snatched the 12" sub from my home theater and put it in here. I put it off to my right and slightly behind the side channel an equal distance from my chair as the 10" originally tuned for sub 100hz which is on the left next to the front channel. The idea behind this is let's use a racing sim for example. If you're sitting in a big block car in real life that rumble surrounds you, you feel it everywhere. If all subs are in front of you, there is no sonic presence behind you because of the acoustics of the room you're in. Switching things up, I turned the 12" sub for 100hz and down, and changed the 10" to low mid (100-190) and setting my bass redirection accordingly in my sound card software. This has almost completely filled the void when playing a game or watching a movie where the rear doesn't lack low end. I have since considered redesigning my sub placement for my game room addition for a front/rear placement or adding a 3rd sub with the crossover sitting at 190 to handle all frequencies picking up the rear.

tl;dr, I definitely would not get stacked subs even for hi-fi.

My aim would be to get something that really doesn't need a sub at all.

I watched this review on the Genelec 8361A which is +/- 1.5dB down to 36hz in an anechoic chamber, would perform even better in real life. This guy is super impressed and says they're the best speakers he's ever measured. About £9k for a pair though.

Reality is even for my AV setup I don't want too powerful bass, as i'll be buying a mid or end terrace house with neighbours on the other side of the wall. Basically like a flat. Having powerful subs is my goal before 40 when i've been able to afford moving into a fully detached house lol.

Last edited:
I'll take a look at that later, but when it comes to low frequencies size does matter.
For sure. They’re not exactly small, about 60cm x 40cm x 40cm and about 30kg each. 1000w of class D per speaker, two 8” oval subs per studio monitor. They do sell complimentary subs for $$$ if you really want bass down to 20hz and less.

My aim would be to get something that really doesn't need a sub at all.
Although these are very "old school" I can promise you that you will not need a sub with these monkey coffins. Combined with a decent receiver/amp and an EQ. An equalizer is what I would consider a must for this speaker set up, will go down to 24hz for that bass. They have doubled in price since I bought mine in BC (before covid) Google the reviews.

That would work well for your first audio/video set up without bankrupting you even today., but you should not use them in an apartment unless your looking to get "evicted"
Eviction Series link

Last edited:
Although these are very "old school" I can promise you that you will not need a sub with these monkey coffins. Combined with a decent receiver/amp and an EQ. An equalizer is what I would consider a must for this speaker set up, will go down to 24hz for that bass. They have doubled in price since I bought mine in BC (before covid) Google the reviews.

That would work well for your first audio/video set up without bankrupting you even today., but you should not use them in an apartment unless your looking to get "evicted"
Eviction Series link

Oh mant those things are even bigger, a 15" woofer. European apartments are small... unless you are rich, which I am not :(

For sure. They’re not exactly small, about 60cm x 40cm x 40cm and about 30kg each. 1000w of class D per speaker, two 8” oval subs per studio monitor. They do sell complimentary subs for $$$ if you really want bass down to 20hz and less.
Yea that's the thing, a speaker that small regardless of how good it is can't push the kind of air bigger speakers can (otherwise everybody would be rocking 8s and save on space lol). The presence of the frequency will be there, but not the feel. It's precisely why I replaced the 8" sub with the 12" and I'd even replace the other 10" with a 15" if I had the money. I've heard some insanely expensive setups in terms of hi-fi and although they sound good to me (like really fuckin good) they all just lack that umph. I will be excited when you finally get a large enough space to be able to let loose on what you can buy and use. Sadly, it's looking like we'll be waiting the same length of time before we get where we want to be in terms of audio gear.

Consider the footprint of those smaller speaker stands and you'll have to combine that with a sub, not a whole lot different in space used. but yea...you'll need you own home to use them

Oh mant those things are even bigger, a 15" woofer. European apartments are small... unless you are rich, which I am not :(
All the more reason for you to skip on over to this side of the pond, you wanker. Seriously. With your experience and accent you could get yourself set up quite nicely. You have a background involving logistics, so look at positions with the backend of trucking companies; something you probably never thought about but would be darn solid . In my rough geographical area a couple of larger players would be US Xpress and Covenant Transport, both located in or near Chattanooga (AKA Gig City).

All the more reason for you to skip on over to this side of the pond, you wanker. Seriously. With your experience and accent you could get yourself set up quite nicely. You have a background involving logistics, so look at positions with the backend of trucking companies; something you probably never thought about but would be darn solid . In my rough geographical area a couple of larger players would be US Xpress and Covenant Transport, both located in or near Chattanooga (AKA Gig City).
He has devops experience too if I remember correctly. Combine the two, easily 6 figure salary over here.

Back
Top Bottom