What You've Just Bought!

Naim Mu-So Qb 2nd Gen. I managed to buy it without sabotaging my monthly debt repayment plan, so that was nice. Sounds great for it's size. I'd like a prefer hi-fi seperates system but just don't have a good place for it.

One day I would love to own a full Naim stack for my HiFi. But their stuff is eye wateringly expensive. But one day...

Lol they got a 140W amp for 35k. Hard ass pass.

You can kind of ignore their power ratings to be honest. Pretty much everyone that reviews them says they drive far harder than their power ratings suggest and outcompete more powerful amps. There is a limit of course, if you do want super high wattage then best go back to McIntosh or whatever.

It's all too expensive for me anyway. I'll probably end up using a cheap Japanese AV amp from Marantz or Yamaha etc lol.

Last edited:
You can kind of ignore their power ratings to be honest. Pretty much everyone that reviews them says they drive far harder than their power ratings suggest and outcompete more powerful amps. There is a limit of course, if you do want super high wattage then best go back to McIntosh or whatever.

It's all too expensive for me anyway. I'll probably end up using a cheap Japanese AV amp from Marantz or Yamaha etc lol.
There's a point of diminishing returns, and that's at the lower to midrange class A. After that is bragging rights and tonal quality, but since most of these go for a complete flat response it's just pissing rights. Like, is my late 90s Yamaha cheap and old? Yea but it's still analog and when paired with a good set of speakers sound great. I go to places that have full on B&W, SPS, etc and I'm like yea this is cool and louder but really not much different than what I have except emphasis on certain ranges due to design and speaker differences. Beyond that I'm like....meh. The only reason I even care to upgrade to a Marantz is to get Atmos and a simpler setup for surround on my PS5.

There's a point of diminishing returns, and that's at the lower to midrange class A. After that is bragging rights and tonal quality, but since most of these go for a complete flat response it's just pissing rights. Like, is my late 90s Yamaha cheap and old? Yea but it's still analog and when paired with a good set of speakers sound great. I go to places that have full on B&W, SPS, etc and I'm like yea this is cool and louder but really not much different than what I have except emphasis on certain ranges due to design and speaker differences. Beyond that I'm like....meh. The only reason I even care to upgrade to a Marantz is to get Atmos and a simpler setup for surround on my PS5.

My dad replaced his 20 watt 1990’s Rotel amp a bunch of years ago with a new model Rotel amp, it wasn’t top of the line but about 2000 dollars. He legit preferred the old amp and the supposed 3x power advantage of the new amp wasn’t noticeable at all really at the volumes he listened at.

My dad replaced his 20 watt 1990’s Rotel amp a bunch of years ago with a new model Rotel amp, it wasn’t top of the line but about 2000 dollars. He legit preferred the old amp and the supposed 3x power advantage of the new amp wasn’t noticeable at all really at the volumes he listened at.
That doesn't surprise me at all.

Back
Top Bottom