What You've Just Bought!

Is DDR5 expected to drop in cost much in six months ? I wanna do my rebuild next year but the cost of 32GB of DDR5 is eye watering. So are the high end motherboard costs.

Is DDR5 expected to drop in cost much in six months ? I wanna do my rebuild next year but the cost of 32GB of DDR5 is eye watering. So are the high end motherboard costs.
Z690 price is here to stay and won't drop. DDR5 price won't begin to drop until stock levels out much like the GPU situation. Any new DDR standard takes about a year for prices to go down so it might take longer with the stock issues.
I'm old... 250GB for the OS and the 1TB for games.
Since only one slot goes x4 4.0 to the CPU it's standard now to do 4.0 1TB for OS and games then 1TB or bigger 3.0 for games and storage in a second slot. Reason being the OS takes more advantage of IOPS than games, but smaller drives have slower speeds and IOPS.

Since only one slot goes x4 4.0 to the CPU it's standard now to do 4.0 1TB for OS and games then 1TB or bigger 3.0 for games and storage in a second slot. Reason being the OS takes more advantage of IOPS than games, but smaller drives have slower speeds and IOPS.
Wouldn't that beat one major purpose for separating OS and storage which is having to only easily format the OS drive and lose nothing (much)? As for speed loss, I have a feeling 4.0 and 3.0 won't make a desirable difference in games. As for the OS, mine is on 3.0 and the speed is already light speed enough for me that I don't feel the need or the desire for more speed as a regular non corporate user.

I'm just speculating. I'm just a Gen. 3.0 peasant :)

Last edited:
Wouldn't that beat one major purpose for separating OS and storage which is having to only easily format the OS drive and lose nothing (much)? As for speed loss, I have a feeling 4.0 and 3.0 won't make a desirable difference in games. As for the OS, mine is on 3.0 and the speed is already light speed enough for me that I don't feel the need or the desire for more speed as a regular non corporate user.

I'm just speculating. I'm just a Gen. 3.0 peasant :)
It is still separated. It's just games won't benefit from 4.0 and drives have slower IOPS and sequential speeds the smaller they are. So a 1TB median for OS to get the faster IOPS (or in general benefit from even being 4.0) and the cheaper 3.0 for drives.

Z690 price is here to stay and won't drop. DDR5 price won't begin to drop until stock levels out much like the GPU situation. Any new DDR standard takes about a year for prices to go down so it might take longer with the stock issues.

That's why I got the mobo I did. the top M.2 is 4.0 from CPU and the other 2 are 4.0 from the chipset and both the M.2 SSD's have the same speeds on them, so in theory I should get sequential R/W of 7K/5K. (random is shit) But I have them in my hand now so I might as well use them. :p But I do want to do some testing now that you have brought this up once I get the build done. But it just seems like a waste of space for a 1TB drive just for the OS. LOL

Doing a quick Google search... You are 100% correct. But the speed difference between the drives for the OS doesn't seem that bad. Since I was going to use the 1TB as a catch drive, I can throw Adobe on that drive instead of the smaller one. I'll just have to rethink how I'm going to install everything. Still want to test stuff and like you said, if need be, I do have a brand new 970 EVO 3.0 drive I can use for games.

Below is a basic quick reference about what PP is talking about:
https://seekingtech.com/samsung-980-pro-pcie-4-0-nvme-ssd-250gb-vs-500gb-vs-1tb/

As always, I learn something new everyday. So thank you PP Mac.

Last edited:
This brings up a valid point. Would you (as per human perception) be able to detect a few hundred mill-seconds load time from a 250 g drive vs. a 1 tb drive? The 1 tb drive definitely has an advantage as far as life span

That's why I got the mobo I did. the top M.2 is 4.0 from CPU and the other 2 are 4.0 from the chipset and both the M.2 SSD's have the same speeds on them, so in theory I should get sequential R/W of 7K/5K. (random is shit) But I have them in my hand now so I might as well use them. :p But I do want to do some testing now that you have brought this up once I get the build done. But it just seems like a waste of space for a 1TB drive just for the OS. LOL
Yea sequential doesn't mean much considering it has such a small SLC cache and drops significantly to 1.9GB after 100GB write. I think my biggest gripe with Samusng is the fact that outside of the buzzword marketing it's a TLC based drive that in anything besides 4K random it loses to the 970 EVO in everything else. This is why I bought the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus instead, as even though the marketing buzz numbers are slightly slower it outperforms the 980 Pro in literally everything that matters and was significantly cheaper. The numbers get worse the smaller you get with the drive.
One thing to remember, the 4.0 lanes from the chipset are limited to the 4x lanes going back to the CPU and shared with everything else linked to the chipset. It also increases latency which is one of the big things to even have a faster drive.
Doing a quick Google search... You are 100% correct. But the speed difference between the drives for the OS doesn't seem that bad. Since I was going to use the 1TB as a catch drive, I can throw Adobe on that drive instead of the smaller one. I'll just have to rethink how I'm going to install everything. Still want to test stuff and like you said, if need be, I do have a brand new 970 EVO 3.0 drive I can use for games.
Just remember it is better to have your scratch drive as a fast drive that isn't the OS drive or where your Adobe product is installed. This is another reason I went with the dual 1TB move. In fact I plan to move to 2TB for the secondary drive relatively soon, and all my UWP games are on my C:. Since Halo, FS, and FH5 are so large.

Obviously the setup isn't bad and "not that big of a deal", but with hardware shortages and the pricing of the 980 Pro line it kinda made me cringe a little. Like I was diehard Samsung since SATA until the release of the 980 Pro and I just couldn't get down with the specs vs the price. I feel they wasted a huge opportunity to introduce MLC Gen 4 drives to the market AND release a controller that rivals the PS5 but they dropped the ball on all fronts.

This brings up a valid point. Would you (as per human perception) be able to detect a few hundred mill-seconds load time from a 250 g drive vs. a 1 tb drive? The 1 tb drive definitely has an advantage as far as life span
It's not so much loads times as it is also latency and responsiveness. That being said, I did notice quite a difference in "relative" speeds between my 960 EVO to my R4+.

Funny that you mention the Sabrent Rocket... That is my current game drive (1 TB); I also have a Mushkin 3.0 Pilot-E 500GB for my current OS (after the original Samsung failed after 5 years) But to be honest I have read a lot about the 980 PRO's being very good for not only R/W speeds, but Gbps speeds as well. That's why I went with them, TBH, not including them being on sale. ;)

Right there with you and I will admit that I have had MANY Samsung SSD's (from the 860 onward) over the years, so at the time it seemed like a "no-brainer" the get the 980's. I'm going to use them and not waste the money, but building a "work" machine for the first time that is not gaming focused, I think it's a decent experiment. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on speed and time.

You have definitely given me more info to think about for the build.

Back
Top Bottom