What You've Just Bought!

Another update on my speaker build....
We got a warm spell so I took advantage and got one of the speakers finished. I can do the teak wood vinyl overlay inside the house so it won't be long before I'll be using these! I do plan on making a small wood frame and making a speaker cover and possibly going to a trophy shop the get emblems made for the front covers. Here's my progress so far....
Vinyl on one.jpg
I also got a Topping D30 DAC so I can use this for connecting my pc up to an amp

Those look nice, but the previous picture made them look way bigger.

My dumbass just realized there's an impedance switch on my receiver that I never noticed. Just spent the past 30 minutes playing my audio test files in pure bliss. My next purchase will definitely be towers for the rears and center plus another sub for the center.

Bigger? naw... they are bookshelf type of speakers. I never ment to make them look larger than they are. They measure 11"h x 7.5"w x 9.5"d. They have a 5.5 dia woofer/mid and 1" tweeter with a 4" wave dispersion. The reviews on these C-Notes from Parts Express and other places are good. They were designed by someone named Chris P. From some of his posts on another audio web site he recommended to install a brace and some dampening material. He stated that to keep the costs to $100. they could not provide these extras. I did install a cross brace and some denim material on the back side. They do get good reviews but I haven't used them as assembled yet, I only to tested the x-overs and box wiring before I glued in the baffles.

Can't see the brace very well, but it is a 5/8 birch dowel in there
inside.jpg
Once I glue in the baffles I can't get back in there to fix anything... unless I get one of the grand kids to get their little paws in there

Last edited:
Those look nice, but the previous picture made them look way bigger.

My dumbass just realized there's an impedance switch on my receiver that I never noticed. Just spent the past 30 minutes playing my audio test files in pure bliss. My next purchase will definitely be towers for the rears and center plus another sub for the center.
yup... impedance has a lot to do with the audio quality!
These C-Note speakers I'm building are rated as 8 ohm (although the tweeter is a 4 ohm speaker) they match up with my 8 ohm amp

Bigger? naw... they are bookshelf type of speakers. I never ment to make them look larger than they are. They measure 11"h x 7.5"w x 9.5"d. They have a 5.5 dia woofer/mid and 1" tweeter with a 4" wave dispersion. The reviews on these C-Notes from Parts Express and other places are good. They were designed by someone named Chris P. From some of his posts on another audio web site he recommended to install a brace and some dampening material. He stated that to keep the costs to $100. they could not provide these extras. I did install a cross brace and some denim material on the back side. They do get good reviews but I haven't used them as assembled yet, I only to tested the x-overs and box wiring before I glued in the baffles.

Can't see the brace very well, but it is a 5/8 birch dowel in there
View attachment 14125
Once I glue in the baffles I can't get back in there to fix anything... unless I get one of the grand kids to get their little paws in there
Yea man idk why but it looked like the bottom would be a 12" or something lol. They look solid.
yup... impedance has a lot to do with the audio quality!
These C-Note speakers I'm building are rated as 8 ohm (although the tweeter is a 4 ohm speaker) they match up with my 8 ohm amp
The switch was set to 8ohm minimum everything and the center is a 6ohm, the towers are bi-amped so /should/ be 4ohm (using dual zone off main). In any case, flip the switch and center can be as low as 4 and bazinga center doesn't sound like weak shit anymore.

Side note, why are speakers designed for center channel all shit? So much damn midrange and clearly only designed for dialogue when not everything that goes to the center channel is dialogue.

I think center channel speakers are mostly for video. I've never had or used center channel speakers or even know anybody using 5.1 or 7.1 system for home theater use. So I'm kinda in the dark about how well that sounds. I'm very much old school and think a couple of 15" woofers in a stereo can't be beat for a good audio stage type of sound.

I am setting up a hacked together sound system (i got a sub that i am soldering to a set of larger speakers (they are like 6 inches tall?)) and i was wondering if you guys new of any really bassy test files...

I think center channel speakers are mostly for video. I've never had or used center channel speakers or even know anybody using 5.1 or 7.1 system for home theater use. So I'm kinda in the dark about how well that sounds. I'm very much old school and think a couple of 15" woofers in a stereo can't be beat for a good audio stage type of sound.
What, center channel is implied with home theater, 5.1, or 7.1. It's one of the digits, the center speaker. Unless you mean you know nobody who buys a speaker designed for center channel use in which case I'd say probably because they suck. They're all tuned for midrange and dialogue and suck for gaming or anything else. I'm just glad that my current PC setup can take a tower or a couple bookshelves bridged for center. In fact I want to replace the bookshelves for my rear speakers too. Going to see if I can get my old JBL towers back from my boss for the living room home theater setup, put those Polk Audio towers in my room for rears for now, then use the bookshelves bridged (now that I know it can do 4ohm) for the center. I really need my wood guy to hurry up with my 15" subwoofer enclosure for the living room.

In my realization of impedance selecting, I also noticed I can use extra amps with this analog setup. I'm probably going to wind up putting a sub under each channel for a 5.5 o_O
I am setting up a hacked together sound system (i got a sub that i am soldering to a set of larger speakers (they are like 6 inches tall?)) and i was wondering if you guys new of any really bassy test files...
Audio frequency test Joe linked. I use it too as it's great for tuning crossovers. If you just want a dumb stupid bassy file to see what it sounds like then just go on Youtube and look for bass test or subwoofer test.

LOL... you better hope your boss is not an audiophile because there is a $$great demand$$ for old JBL's out there!
Audio frequency test Joe linked. I use it too as it's great for tuning crossovers. If you just want a dumb stupid bassy file to see what it sounds like then just go on Youtube and look for bass test or subwoofer test.
just pop some pink floyd tunes on those speakers if you want some random loud bass to check it
What, center channel is implied with home theater, 5.1, or 7.1. It's one of the digits, the center speaker. Unless you mean you know nobody who buys a speaker designed for center channel use in which case I'd say probably because they suck. They're all tuned for midrange and dialogue and suck for gaming or anything else.
Yup... I do not know of anybody using or even heard center channel speakers . It's the reason why I can't say much about it. They are popular because I see them all the time on line and at audio sales

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom