What You've Just Bought!

checked out your specs and the default for memory is 4800, 5600 OC.
That cpu is rated for @ ddr 5 4800 MT/s
Looks like you'll need to O/C that bugger
The XMP profile is technically the OC. Intel has historically advertised lower speeds than their IMC can truly handle dating back to the DDR2 days.

The XMP profile is technically the OC. Intel has historically advertised lower speeds than their IMC can truly handle dating back to the DDR2 days.
I agree. But won't K have to OC his cpu also? I will admit I do not OC and never got into that aspect very much, but from what littile I do know, won't there have to be a voltage increase?

I agree. But won't K have to OC his cpu also? I will admit I do not OC and never got into that aspect very much, but from what littile I do know, won't there have to be a voltage increase?
No, just set XMP and it sets RAM frequency, voltage, timings, etc itself without touching anything else. XMP 3.0 is just kind of broken right now since DDR5 is so new. No different than DDR2, DDR3, and DDR4 in their infancy. The issues being faced currently are just bugs that need to be ironed out rather than a straight up settings/voltage/OC/frequency issue. Most people who can't set XMP can get the exact same result by manually setting their timings, speed, and DRAM voltage just like back in the DDR and DDR2 days. In his case he's saying manually setting to 4800 works, so I'd be willing to bet some more further tweaking will get stock RAM settings easy peasy for at least 5200.

No, just set XMP and it sets RAM frequency, voltage, timings, etc itself without touching anything else. XMP 3.0 is just kind of broken right now since DDR5 is so new. No different than DDR2, DDR3, and DDR4 in their infancy. The issues being faced currently are just bugs that need to be ironed out rather than a straight up settings/voltage/OC/frequency issue. Most people who can't set XMP can get the exact same result by manually setting their timings, speed, and DRAM voltage just like back in the DDR and DDR2 days. In his case he's saying manually setting to 4800 works, so I'd be willing to bet some more further tweaking will get stock RAM settings easy peasy for at least 5200.

Yup just restarted my PC, changed the frequency to 5200Mhz and it booted up fine. I'll try it out for the rest of the day and see if it's stable.

So far one thing I am really loving is actually Windows itself, I didn't expect to feel any difference over my previous 250GB SATA SSD I used, but it boots faster, is instantly super responsive on log in, and just very speedy in general. Also the loading time in games is WAY better, and this is really nice in DCS because I crash a lot learning to fly in that game, and now it takes about 12 seconds to respawn instead of almost 30 seconds. FPS in DCS is similar but yeah, higher minimum FPS which is nice, and i've already managed to get it to use over 30GB of RAM whereas I was more limited before when I had 32GB.

Also another thing I learnt, DAMN this CPU is a hot mofo. At first I thought my H100i AIO was faulty and I checked i'd mounted it correctly. Then I googled it and people are just saying this is a hot CPU and having it run well into the 80's is normal and expected :/

checked out your specs and the default for memory is 4800, 5600 OC.
That cpu is rated for @ ddr 5 4800 MT/s
Looks like you'll need to O/C that bugger

Honestly no idea. Back when I joined this forum I was super into PC hardware, followed it really closely, spent hours every day reading the forums and latest PC hardware news and so on. But the past few years my interest in it all died and I don't really know anything other than the high level stuff anymore. I still want the best hardware and generally keep up to date with the hardware announcements, but that's about it, no nitty gritty stuff. So that basically means I just come on here every once in a while and ask PP what I should do :ROFLMAO:

When I was building my PC yesterday I had to hit Google up a few times as I forgot what I was doing, and there were cables i'd never seen befure (USB 3.2 Gen 2 cable from the Front I/O, etc) :unsure:

Last edited:
Yup just restarted my PC, changed the frequency to 5200Mhz and it booted up fine. I'll try it out for the rest of the day and see if it's stable.
I figured as much.
So far one thing I am really loving is actually Windows itself, I didn't expect to feel any difference over my previous 250GB SATA SSD I used, but it boots faster, is instantly super responsive on log in, and just very speedy in general. Also the loading time in games is WAY better, and this is really nice in DCS because I crash a lot learning to fly in that game, and now it takes about 12 seconds to respawn instead of almost 30 seconds. FPS in DCS is similar but yeah, higher minimum FPS which is nice, and i've already managed to get it to use over 30GB of RAM whereas I was more limited before when I had 32GB.
Actually this is like 70% platform and 30% SSD (in Windows). My wife's rig (which is my older X299 setup) is noticeably a bit snippier when it comes to navigating Windows and general tasks. The higher I all core my 3700x the quicker it feels, and even at 4.4 all core my wife's 7800x pushing 4.8 with a ridiculously high cache speed is still quicker. That is with her having a 2nd gen-ish gen 3 SSD that is B tier (SP 3200MB/s read and like half my IOPS 4k) vs my Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus. My step daughter's rig has a Pentium G4560 and a Samsung PM961 and it feels pretty on par with my machine too.
Also another thing I learnt, DAMN this CPU is a hot mofo. At first I thought my H100i AIO was faulty and I checked i'd mounted it correctly. Then I googled it and people are just saying this is a hot CPU and having it run well into the 80's is normal and expected :/
You're really used to being on AMD, been typical with Intel CPUs since the 9900k. They will actually run PL2 until they hit power limit threshold at 100c. One thing to do is since you're running an Asus board I can guarantee it's pushing way too many volts for stock clocks. If you dropped your voltage down a hair your average temps will probably drop 10c+ even on an older AIO. Heat was the driving factor why I went to AMD back in 2019, but after having the platform for 3 freakin years I have many small things that stack up making me go back to Intel.

Your point about the RAM usage in games actually has me thinking and looking at 64GB kits of DDR5. I have a 64GB kit of DDR4 but it's 8 sticks and split between our two PCs. I remember having fun in Minecraft 3 years ago with my son and couldn't remember why I quit until just now. Using the shader packs and path tracing mods to make my son's "aquarium house" I had a ton of slowdowns due to insufficient VRAM and RAM. In fact, one pack that was made actually calls for a full 48GB of VRAM and 128GB of system RAM which is a fat LOL. Lemme just get an A6000 for modded Minecraft real quick.

I figured as much.

Actually this is like 70% platform and 30% SSD (in Windows). My wife's rig (which is my older X299 setup) is noticeably a bit snippier when it comes to navigating Windows and general tasks. The higher I all core my 3700x the quicker it feels, and even at 4.4 all core my wife's 7800x pushing 4.8 with a ridiculously high cache speed is still quicker. That is with her having a 2nd gen-ish gen 3 SSD that is B tier (SP 3200MB/s read and like half my IOPS 4k) vs my Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus. My step daughter's rig has a Pentium G4560 and a Samsung PM961 and it feels pretty on par with my machine too.

You're really used to being on AMD, been typical with Intel CPUs since the 9900k. They will actually run PL2 until they hit power limit threshold at 100c. One thing to do is since you're running an Asus board I can guarantee it's pushing way too many volts for stock clocks. If you dropped your voltage down a hair your average temps will probably drop 10c+ even on an older AIO. Heat was the driving factor why I went to AMD back in 2019, but after having the platform for 3 freakin years I have many small things that stack up making me go back to Intel.

Your point about the RAM usage in games actually has me thinking and looking at 64GB kits of DDR5. I have a 64GB kit of DDR4 but it's 8 sticks and split between our two PCs. I remember having fun in Minecraft 3 years ago with my son and couldn't remember why I quit until just now. Using the shader packs and path tracing mods to make my son's "aquarium house" I had a ton of slowdowns due to insufficient VRAM and RAM. In fact, one pack that was made actually calls for a full 48GB of VRAM and 128GB of system RAM which is a fat LOL. Lemme just get an A6000 for modded Minecraft real quick.

Ah fair, see i've no idea what i'm talking about anymore lol.

I just saw a video of the EVGA 3090Ti and the cable suspension system, mother of god that is one fat ass GPU.

Ah fair, see i've no idea what i'm talking about anymore lol.

I just saw a video of the EVGA 3090Ti and the cable suspension system, mother of god that is one fat ass GPU.
Yea but luckily they listened to Jay and reinforced their backplate so it's not needed. Got all my new wanted parts in a list now. Stilllll going back and forth on DDR5 or not. Brain tells me no and so does wallet, but epeen says dew it.

Yea but luckily they listened to Jay and reinforced their backplate so it's not needed. Got all my new wanted parts in a list now. Stilllll going back and forth on DDR5 or not. Brain tells me no and so does wallet, but epeen says dew it.

Just feels weird to buy DDR4 in 2022... even if they do benchmark not too differently right now. Managed to get mine to 5400Mhz now too. Gone from 81fps to 83fps in F1 2021 since I overclocked the RAM. Yay ? lol.

I finally got rid of having a HDD from my system, only to replace it with an AIO with a pump that occassionally makes sounds very much like a hard drive. :poop:

Just feels weird to buy DDR4 in 2022... even if they do benchmark not too differently right now. Managed to get mine to 5400Mhz now too. Gone from 81fps to 83fps in F1 2021 since I overclocked the RAM. Yay ? lol.

I finally got rid of having a HDD from my system, only to replace it with an AIO with a pump that occassionally makes sounds very much like a hard drive. :poop:
I wouldn't be buying DDR4 if I went that route. I already have over 64GB total of 3600 CL16 Dom Plat RGB for DDR4 platforms so it'd really be stupid to buy a 2x32GB kit for a year of use at best.

I wouldn't be buying DDR4 if I went that route. I already have over 64GB total of 3600 CL16 Dom Plat RGB for DDR4 platforms so it'd really be stupid to buy a 2x32GB kit for a year of use at best.

Ohh okay that makes more sense then. Would save you quite a lot of money not buying DDR5 I guess.

Back
Top Bottom