What You've Just Bought!

Just bought 10 used weed wackers/trimmers/weed eaters (everybody calls them something different) For $90 CAD! ($66 USD) I think they're a pretty good deal even though none of them run :) Hoping to fix them up and sell them. I mean,I can fix computers, surely I can fix weed whackers, right? Here is a screen shot of the ad on kijji:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 3.31.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 3.31.12 PM.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 6
It's a long story. Basically in 2017 I got a really good job, bought a house, and I got laid off January 2019. I couldn't find a comparable job in that salary range so I had to stop paying my mortgage which was high (story for another day, I got screwed basically by my ex, ex roomie, and lender). My old boss called me back in at a much lower salary so I decided to eat the foreclosure on my credit and move on. A month later got into a short sale deal and managed to live in the house another year for free. Somebody bought the place so we had to find a rental. Due to real estate market being ridiculous in DFW right now all rentals in the size house that I had were sky high so we had to settle on something with smaller square footage. We also couldn't be picky because of our combined salary and credit (the house tanked my credit).

I used to host 3 game servers, an FTP server, a cloud box, an email server for a company, and a VDI setup which was a virtual cluster on my "big" server. I stopped hosting all of it because the hassle wasn't worth the ROI.

It's a long story. Basically in 2017 I got a really good job, bought a house, and I got laid off January 2019. I couldn't find a comparable job in that salary range so I had to stop paying my mortgage which was high (story for another day, I got screwed basically by my ex, ex roomie, and lender). My old boss called me back in at a much lower salary so I decided to eat the foreclosure on my credit and move on. A month later got into a short sale deal and managed to live in the house another year for free. Somebody bought the place so we had to find a rental. Due to real estate market being ridiculous in DFW right now all rentals in the size house that I had were sky high so we had to settle on something with smaller square footage. We also couldn't be picky because of our combined salary and credit (the house tanked my credit).

I used to host 3 game servers, an FTP server, a cloud box, an email server for a company, and a VDI setup which was a virtual cluster on my "big" server. I stopped hosting all of it because the hassle wasn't worth the ROI.
Yup... I too did a short sale on one of my houses in '09 during that housing crash.
Just have to wait and your credit will bounce back in a few years, keep in mind that this is not forever

Yup... I too did a short sale on one of my houses in '09 during that housing crash.
Just have to wait and your credit will bounce back in a few years, keep in mind that this is not forever
Absolutely. Funny thing it wasn't the short sale or even the false bankruptcy that killed my credit, it was the lender slapping a missed payment on me for about 14 months even though the short sale company took over about 4 months after I stopped paying. They weren't supposed to do that but it is what it is. Last year this time my credit was in the high 400s, I've brought it back to a mid 600 already. Finding a rental wasn't that hard and most landlords didn't even care about that part of the history. 2 on the other hand questioned my employment to the point of calling HR and asking to speak directly to my manager to confirm I worked there, had the title I marked down, and made what I claimed. This was completely nuts to me considering my spouse has only had her current job a little over a year and is already supervisor of her clinic making what I make (which she should be making more).

The second time it happened I was pretty livid and called the landlord out on it. We didn't want his place because it was too small for the price and because he wanted a triple deposit anyways. He told me he used to work for General Dynamics in the late 80s as a programmer and software engineer. He didn't believe my title made what little I claimed because the location he worked at turned into Lockheed Martin (the F-35 plant now, then F-16). He apologized but I called him an ******* for wanting to jack our deposit up to 8 grand just because he "thought" I made too little. Said it was hypocritical and counterproductive as well as extortion. Then I said yea I know I'm being ****ed and hate it but I'm doing what I need to do to support my family and hung up before he could get a word in.

Bit extra, but whatever. Got a better place for the same price anyways a week later and that guy waived the security deposit because he liked us.

The security deposit is normally just in case you trash the place but i've never heard of a $8000 security deposit.
Security deposit is just a new way of saying first and last month rent, no matter how they rebrand it. Charing double and triple security deposit is a landlords way of making sure they don't lose any money in case the deal with the tenant goes south. The 8000 security in this case was a quad security deposit, this dude wanted 4 months worth of rent before letting us in and technically it was a little more than that even because the rent was 1775 not 2000.

Back
Top Bottom