What would you like to see in a laptop?

foothead

Omnicide now.
I have no idea what section this belongs in. Mods, feel free to move it if you deem necessary.

I'm collecting info for a potential future mod project, and wanted to check for others' ideas. It's going to be an excessively huge gaming notebook. So, if you could design a laptop, what would you add?. To give ideas of what type of thing I am looking for, here are a few examples of my ideas:

spring-loaded keyboard that pops up to a 10-15 degree tilt when laptop is opened
built-in power supply with a retractable power cord
small backup battery to allow switching of main battery without powering down
Built in joystick for flight simming
Standard SATA connections for easy HDD hookup

I was also considering a built-in pico projector, but I don't think I'm gonna go for it because the LCD is plenty big.

Nothing is too complicated or ridiculous. There will be tons of extra space in the bottom case, so I can probably add a good bit more.

This is probably always a given, but I'd like a back-lit keyboard. Or at least have the keyboard area lighted in some manner.

2TB from 8 500GB SATA III Disks in RAID10. Come to think of it, you may as well use 8 512GB SSD's.
An extra 2TB from 2 RAID1'ed 2TB SATA Disks
4 ATi Radeon 5970's in Crossfire.
32GB RAM, so that I can run a VM in a VM, allowing me to Virtualize while I Virtualize.
A Couple of those quad core hyperthreaded Nehalem-based Xeon Processors
19" IPS High-res display
12 Hour battery life.

That is all! :D

This is probably always a given, but I'd like a back-lit keyboard. Or at least have the keyboard area lighted in some manner.

I haven't decided on this one. I like the idea, but I prefer to not be able to see the keyboard because I tend to look at it if I can. Thanks though.

2TB from 8 500GB SATA III Disks in RAID10. Come to think of it, you may as well use 8 512GB SSD's.
An extra 2TB from 2 RAID1'ed 2TB SATA Disks
4 ATi Radeon 5970's in Crossfire.
32GB RAM, so that I can run a VM in a VM, allowing me to Virtualize while I Virtualize.
A Couple of those quad core hyperthreaded Nehalem-based Xeon Processors
19" IPS High-res display
12 Hour battery life.

That is all! :D

LOL! I could do that, but it'd be more a lap-crusher than a laptop. Also,I think it'd decimate my ~$800 budget.

EDIT: I could do that except for four 5970s in crossfireX. 8 way crossfireX isn't possible currently.

I'm probably going to use an ASUS G51VX-RX05 for the host computer, so the specs'll be something like:

~2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 800 MHz RAM, 240-320 GB HDD, GTX 260M, Windows vista (or 7, it depends on if it comes with OS or not). I expect it to get ~45 minutes to an hour on the stock battery, so I'm going to have to add my own. I'm shooting for 2 hours, because that's the longest I've needed to use my current laptop without having direct access to power.

19" IPS High-res display

19 inches cannot contain me! How about a 23.6" 1080p LED backlit LCD? That's what I intend to use.

A cup holder
nothing more annoying then not having a cold beverage next too you

A cup holder
nothing more annoying then not having a cold beverage next too you

Haha, that's hilarious. Of course, I never expect to use this thing anywhere besides at a desk or table, so it would be kinda useless. Still, it could be somewhat useful in a smaller laptop.

This actually does give me another idea though. A mousepad that hinged out would take almost no space, but it could be very practical.

I'd like to see a laptop with a 21:9 screen so a very wide machine but not deep, unless we start talking about largish screen sizes.

Also the fully featured keyboard and touchpad section would be a flat touch screen that becomes a mirror still with keys visible, and the image on the screen is flipped and inverted, when the lid is at anything less than a 60 degree angle.

I'd like to see a laptop with a 21:9 screen so a very wide machine but not deep, unless we start talking about largish screen sizes.

At first, I considered doing three 16" screens, but that's kinda what my triple 28" monitors are for. There aren't any LCD monitors available with a 21:9 aspect. :(

Also the fully featured keyboard and touchpad section would be a flat touch screen that becomes a mirror still with keys visible, and the image on the screen is flipped and inverted, when the lid is at anything less than a 60 degree angle.

That is... epic. I'll think about that one.

i want to see better heat management technologies.

my old compaq almost literally fried the gonads

I intend to follow ASUS's lead and make the entire case into a sort of air duct, which takes air in at the front and expels it out the back. It's a really great design.

EDIT: I'm talking about the G73 in case you didn't know.

Back
Top Bottom