What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Here is my situation......

The company I work for now, I'm full time, been here 9 years.
They pay for my school 100%, BUT, if I was to leave any time I would need to repay my company 100% and as the years go by, a certain percentage of my total bill would need to be paid back.

So today, I was offered a $70,000 a year job as an Intel System Admin. BUT, they are contract, I would need to buy my own benefits, and they wont pay back my company the money I would owe them.

So what would you do? Take the contract job and have a bill paying back your old company or just keep looking?

As for right now, I'm still looking unless I change my mind some how.

This sucks.... :(

Figure out what your expenses would be, i.e. how much you would have to pay your present employer, plus what it would cost for you to insure yourself. Look at that number and decide if it is worth it.

My employer pays for my tuition, and have a clause that if I leave within two years of graduating that they could demand it back, but I know several who have left as soon as they graduated and no one had to pay squat. it sucks that they hold it over your head like that. I guess they see it as insurance for keeping you.

I'm just glad I don't have that decision right now.

Man o man...wat to do, wat to do...

This is almost double what I make now.... :freak:

Okay. So look into some health insurance companies and get some numbers so you can deduct those from the pay at intel. Then figure out what an average year of paying back your tuition to the company you are currently working at. Deduct that from the new salary.

At double the pay I am going to bet you will still be money ahead at intel.

Paying your own health insurance can be a killer. Like Trotter said, do the math. Figure out if you will be money ahead or not. Or if it will just be a lateral move. And if it's a contract job, what happens when the contract is up? You could also show your boss the offer sheet and see if he will pony up some more $$ to keep you. Start a bidding war for your services.

Yeah, do that math. $70k is pretty darn tempting, though, even if you have to pay your own way for everything. If that's close to double what you're making now I'd honestly probly go for it but that's up to you and dependant on if the numbers work out for you.

i buy my own health insurance and its not that much. about 200 dollars a month for a rather good plan. that includes dental and vision. and the dental REALLY is awesome.
thats 2400 dollars, right?
if your salary is doubled, then that doesnt really even dent it. i would talk to your employer and get the terms of repayment.
then, i would take the new job, and perhaps buy myself something nice, lol. maybe a dirtbike or something. doubling your salary is a no-brainer, man. you're still gonna come out WAY on top no matter what the repayment deal with your current employer. especially if you can stretch it out for years and years...you're not even going to feel that really. it's like my student loan...it takes forever to pay back, but it's not really noticable in my budget.
i say GO FOR IT...

The real question you should ask other than the whole money aspect. Is how long is this contract job? 1 year? 2 Years? Would it be worth leaving this company of 9 years for a 2 year job and then be back at square one with no job at all?

Now if it is guaranteed to be at least 5 years. Go for it.

i say it would be worth it, making double...no matter the contract length. well, a year may be a little short. anything more than that, say 2 years...and you make as much as you would in 4 years at current job. but, if you work for 2 more years in current job, you make only as much as you would have in 1 year of new job. does that make sense? lol...besides that...you have been working at a job for 9 years and are making a decent living (i'm assuming from your earlier post that its around 40K a year)...more than A LOT of people in the world make. but what kind of advancement are they offering you? in 4 years, will you still be making the same money? 10K more? even if the new job was only a year or two, how will that look on your resume? pretty good i'd think. i say its totally worth it. you can t live life lookin back and sayin, "man i shoulda jumped on that".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom