what to get? i7 920 or 860, ati or nvidia?

oneshot1

Baseband Member
im building a new gaming comp and im asking around what you guys think. I will be getting an i7 but im not sure if i should get a 920 or 860. what are the main differences between the two? and also, should i go with ati or nvidia, i hear ati sucks with intel and is good with amd and that i should go with nvidia, but id like to hear from you guys.

The main difference between the 920 and the 860 are that they use different sockets, different chipsets, have different memory controllers and the 860 has integrated PCI-E lanes.

The 920 is socket LGA1366 and uses the X58 chipset
The 860 is socket LGA1156 and uses the P55 chipset

The 920 has a 3 channel 1066 memory controller
The 860 has a 2 channel 1333 memory controller

The 920 does not feature integrated PCI-E lanes, everything is contained in the chipset, which makes the motherboards more expensive. The X58 supports full bandwidth multi-GPU (2x16 lanes)
The 860 features 16 PCI-E lanes, so less is contained in the chipset, and the motherboards are less expensive. The P55 platform only supports half bandwidth (2x8 lanes), the performance differences between multi-GPU setups on each platform should be minimal though.

I would go for the 920 if it is the same price as you are getting a better features platform which far greater support for upcoming high end products.

i hear ati sucks with intel and is good with amd and that i should go with nvidia, but id like to hear from you guys.

That's very strange because Crossfire is better supported by Intel than Nvidia and AMD/ATi have been much more willing to work with Intel than Nvidia have. Definitely look up the HD 58xx series.

Thanks worship me, i still dont know if i will be able to afford the extra dollars for a 920 mobo, but i will consider it

It is worth waiting a few extra days, weeks or a months to save up the extra money. In personal experience its not good to settle for something due to money restraints. All it does is make you wish you had just waited a lil bit and get what you really wanted. If your like me you will end up getting it later anyways and spending more money on it because you already purchased something you didn't really want as well. Well unless your like me and just build a whole other computer with leftovers and sell em for a profit :D:D

Back
Top Bottom