What should I Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN

In Runtime
Wondering which way I want to go with my career and I'm hoping that you guys can help.

I have been running linux at home for some time and I really like it compared to the Microsoft system. Except for the lack of vendor and game support. I also love the idea of open source.

Am I better off getting my MCSE and get an almost garenteed job at my company or should I do what I like with linux and open source. I will most likely have to learn some programming to do any sort of linux administration, plus I would need to go out and get a BS. I love doing this, but how well is the job market and how long will it be is the question.

Linux is growing but how far will it grow until the corproations will take it down. They are tring to complete with 2 different markets. Unix in the server market and Windows in the desktop segment.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

"Strength in numerals..."

Start investing in the linuX market. Then get job at MS to support LinUx :D :cool:

:wooha: Now THERE'S an idea. MS will probably need some Linux help in the future! GOOD CALL!!!

But to answer your question, Linux skills will probably become more and more important in the next 10 years. Companies will want to save money, and once Linux becomes viable for companies to use on a mass scale (well, it really is now); maybe I should say once companies start accepting Linux as a cheaper alternative to Windows, it will spread rapidly (of course people have been saying that for a few years now).

I've been thinking a bit about this and looking at some of the requirements of the different jobs. Almost all of the jobs out there require you to have knowledge in windows. Even in a installation with Linux they want you to know something about windows. So I think the best bet is to do both. Even though I have become a linux junky in the past few months so I may have a hard time getting the certs for MS. Seems most the the jobs out there want you to be the programmer, web designer, network administrator and helpdesk at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom