What should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichM499

Daemon Poster
I am pretty tight with money, and I like to make sure that all of my bills are paid up at least 3 months in advance. I set aside 60% of my net earnings (and by net I mean the money I'm not using for bills) for family, and I use the other 40% spoiling my girlfriend or buying sodas and stuff.

The way I budget myself leaves me with almost no money for upgrades for my computer, but I am very comfortable with everything else in my life.

Having said that, I have a little extra this month and I'd like to upgrade.

I have around $1500 extra, but I am spending $1200 on a trip for my girlfriend and myself. I figured I would use the extra $300 for myself as a treat.

My two passions are computers, and music. (and my girlfriend if she's reading this :D

I want to buy a Phenom II x3. Currently I use a Phenom II x2 550 in my main rig, and I THOUGHT it was stable with the other 2 cores unlocked. It was stable for gaming and internet browsing, but it would fail LinX and that's just not acceptable.

Should I upgrade to a Phenom II x3 720? Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor HDZ720WFK3DGI - Processors - Desktops
It's only $99 with free shipping at the moment so I have been eyeing it.

Also, I was thinking about this microphone.
Newegg.com - MXL Studio 1 USB Connector Desktop Recording Kit

Any thoughts on the microphone?

And this ram:

Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2T1K2/4G

What do you think of these items? It's right at what I want to spend on myself.

I work a lot so the microphone would probably go to waste. It would be nice though. I have wanted to record high quality vocals for a long time.

The memory and processor would be mostly wasted, except for the few days I spent tweaking it and finding a stable 24/7 overclock. It would be fun to play with though.

Let me know what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom