What Power Supply Should I Get?

PeregrineStudio

Solid State Member
My computer recently decided to basically give me the finger and die on me. I've managed to narrow the problem down to being either the Power Supply, the CPU, or the Motherboard, but frankly, most of the computer is so old it's not worth replacing just one faulty part. I decided to salvage what few things are still good and not on their way to obsoletion - which is the Hard Drive, the DVD Drive, the super video card I bought to replace the old one, and my RAM modules. Which means I have left to replace the Motherboard, CPU, and Power Supply - and I kina decided that I was getting tired of my old HP Media Center case, so I'm replacing the case, too.

This brings me to my question. I'm going to be purchasing this case. I know most of how a computer works within its steel walls, but I've never had to swap a Power Supply before. The one that came with my HP Media Center had, appropriately, exactly the number of power cords needed to relay power to all the individual included parts. For building my own PC, do most power supplies come with a similar number of cords? Will I need to buy cord splitters of some kind? And for a computer that will be pulling a significant amount of juice, for gaming and 3D animation, can you recommend a power supply or provide a link? I'm hoping to upgrade this computer regularly, and I'd rather not have to upgrade the power supply in a few months because theres not enough wattage.

Thanks in advance!

Going Intel all the way. At the moment I have no money, so in a bizarre way that means I have no limit. I'll just save and buy, save and buy, until I have what I need. (shouldn't take too long, just got another job finally)

Quad-Core
2.66 GHz
8MB L3 Cache

It also lists thermal design power as 95W.

Now that you mention it (and its a good thing you did) I'm probably going to need more RAM. Its perfectly adequate, but it looks like my chosen motherboard only supports DDR3, unless I'm reading it wrong.

My old Power Supply had a max of 300W. I think my old computer finally just tired it out. I thought somewhere in the area if 500W, 550W would give me a little elbow room for further upgrades?

Just in case I missed some crucial info, here's the link to the Motherboard and the CPU I'm looking at. Not the best certainly, but still a dang sight better than what I had. I'll worry about having the best in a few years. At the moment I just need a darned computer period! :p

considering its $10-$15 than what i posted for just a little faster speed that can be obtained by ocing its not worth it

GeForce 9800 GT. I'm trying to find a link, but it keeps linking me to a different card.

Okay, for some reason I can't find the link to MY video card. I'm going to keep looking, but for the moment the names all I've got.

EDIT: This is the closest link I could find. http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800gt_us.html

It seems basically the same as mine, in terms of features and ports, but mine also has a massive heatsink on it.

considering its $20-$30 than what i posted for just a little faster speed that can be obtained by ocing its not worth it

I dout he/she will be OCing nor I dont think he/she knows how.and the ram i suggested is only $5 more with the mail-in rebate. How is 1333MHz to 1600HMz a little difference?

I know how, I won't be though. Not good for the hardware, and I can live without a little extra juice.

Remember, at the moment I'm not looking for best of the best. Just enough to be functionally practical, while not TOO far behind the curve. Probably gonna have to go with Vinman's. Thank you all for replying so much, though.

Now.... about the power supply..?

Back
Top Bottom