what power supply do I need?

chin00k47

Baseband Member
I am considering adding a second graphics card and running SLI. I currently have a 700W power supply but I am pretty sure its not enough?

PC comprises

EVGA Nforce 680i enthusiast board
CPU Dual core E6600
4 x 1GB sticks of Gskill DDR800 SDram
Zalman 9500AT CPU cooler
XFX 8800 GTX XXX 756MB graphics (will be 2 of these)
2 Samsung lighscribe DVD writers
2 x 120mm case fans
Win TV card for second monitor
2 22" monitors (but no power from PC for these i guess)

I tried to work it and think it needs to be over 900W!!!! but not sure if I am working it out correctly. UK 240V power supply

Any ideas???:cool:

700W is more than enough for 2 8800GTX, however, that is assuming you have a high quality power supply. What manufacturer/model is it?

Thanks, its a good one its a Thermaltake Toughpower 700 watt. I thought the GTX took up to 280W each and with the other stuff it would not cope?

Thanks, its a good one its a Thermaltake Toughpower 700 watt. I thought the GTX took up to 280W each and with the other stuff it would not cope?

No, 155W TDP. 700W is plenty.

The toughpower units are the only half decent units that Thermaltake make, so you shouldn't have any problems with it :)

ok thanks

not sure now, have no pcie connectors and would need to use 4 Molex i guess. and its gonna get very cramped inside the tower so might just leave it alone? would I be better getting a quad core and sticking it in instead?

Back
Top Bottom