What memory would you get for a gaming pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is what i'm getting...
OCZ Premier Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
Should I spend the extra money to go to 2gigs or stick with one? Will i benefit much?

1gb more than suffices most anyone, unless you're gonna do some heavy 3D rendering or something, as far as OC'ing 2gb, forget about it....it won't happen worth crap.

Yeah I tried to overclock my Value ram last time and did not like the results.
Yeah cause valueRAM isn't made to OC.

The mushkin redline will need lots of voltage which your board can give.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820218062

That's cheap RAM, but in most cases will still OC quite well given enough voltage. TwinMOS is a rather reputable OC'ing brand although most haven't heard of them......other than that I'd suggest nothing less than OCZ Platinum Rev2s which are a pretty good bargain at $185 right now

ah yes, im glad to hear people recommending the OCZ plat rev 2.0's.

of course, the LA's are equally good, some say better, but they are far more expensive. I personally own a kit of the OCZ rev 2.0's and i have to say i am amazed with this memory. With my limited knowledge of my motherboard and all the memory options ive been able to push the ram to a max of 315mhz, (DDR630, but we dont talk about the latencies :p) but ive got them 24/7 stable at 2.5-3-3-7 295mhz @ 2.9v. next stop is 300mhz, but i think my cpu might need a bump in voltage because its still running stock 1.40v :D

what else to say. honestly amazing ram. all that said though, not all modules are the same, and you could by chance manage to grab a set that only do 250mhz or lower. but, i found it was worth it. its you're choice, but i very highly recommend these modules. top notch from OCZ

next stop is 300mhz, but i think my cpu might need a bump in voltage because its still running stock 1.40v
give it 3v and I'm sure it'll hit 300Mhz with your current timings.....I'd suggest having a fan blowing over the RAM, however, just to insure they stay cool even though they really shouldn't even get THAT hot at that voltage

ok, ill do that, i'm a bit hesitant to put 3.0 through them though, i know OCZ has evp, that stops the modules from frying up to 3.0v buuuut... they cost me a lot of money, and if they fry i wont have a computer for... erm... probably most of the rest of this year. :eek: and that is not something i endeavour to do.

a fan... hmmm... yes, i was going to do that, i just never got round to it, ill have to give it a go, they dont get tooo hot, but they are quite warm to touch.

I changed my cpu fan to an 80mm case fan, and i have that overhanging slightly on the side of the ram, and that seems to cool that 1 side of 1 module... so ill have to do something about it. ill get back to you when its done (probly tomorow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom