What is your worst Helpdesk/Tech Support Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally do not like dealing with Gamers at the best of times.

Like they normally have this nack of walking into my computer store saying that they want a gaming computer, but they expect me to have ESP to work out on how much they want to spend and where they want to spend it.
Like you normally hit them with questions like :-
"How much want to spend?"
"What sort of configuration do you have in mind?"

And they normally come back with you with replies like
"What ya got?" or "I don't know"
And heaven forbid recommending a nVidia Card to a Ati-Nazi.

However i get this guy coming in looking for a notebook. His mother calls me up asking about a notebook that worked out to be about $2000. However it seemed that at notebook that is $800 is going to be more suited towards the buget.

So he want to look and see if the game will run on this $800 notebook before purchasing.

I gives me a series of disks.
Firstly, i don't think any of them are orginal.
Secondly, they are all expansion and add on packs for MS Flight Simulator
Thirdly, the version of MS Flight Simulators are version 2002 and 2004.

Now if push comes to shove, I can pick up a copy of MS FlightSimulator 2004. And there is MS Flight Simulator X, but that is not going to run on a $800 notebook.
So I quote him on both products.

And then the next question is this....
DUMB *** :- "If I purchase MS Flight Simulator X, does that mean I can run these add on packs with this version."
HARPER :- "NO. Expansion and Add on packs only work with the game that they were released with. And that's it"
DUMB *** :- "Do you have copy of these games?"
HARPER :- "No"

I could see it in his eyes that he was a bit offended that I do not play MS FlightSimulator, let alone having a copy of a game that is 3 or 6 years old. Just as well I kept my mouth shut about playing WoW.

So then dumb *** comes up with a brillant idea.
DUMB *** :- "But how come I can open up a MS Word 95 document in MS Word 2003?"
And then for the next 15 minutes he's arguing this point exspecting me to pull some thing out of my a$$ to make it all work. :rolleyes:

So I quoted him a another laptop that will run MS Flight Simulator X. However he's currently going to go home and re-evaluate his requirements and budget for a laptop.

I hate dealing with gamers........ :mad:

Lol... I would have to say that the gamers that know ABSOLUTLY nothing about the hardware and also abilities of the software always irk me the wrong way too....

I get to hear many funny stories from a friend of mine that works at a Circuit City, about parents coming into the store to get games for their kids, and they are wanting games that
A. aren't released yet
B. are made for platform x but parent wants it for platform y
C. games he has never heard of

They are just too funny. The few times that he has been asked for games he never heard of are funny too, cause he is quite the avvid gamer, and keeps up with news and releases and whatnot... funny stuff.

when i needed some HP Recovery Discs.. i rang HP and they directed me to about 3 people just to get some Recovery discs.. i ordered them for 25 Pound!! lol and they still didnt arrive within 5 weeks i rang them up again and they arrived the next day

Optus Internet

Jan 04. 2007 :- I was out on holidays and I loose my wallet. So I took no risks and I cancelled my credit card. It will take 10 days for my financal insitution to send me out a new credit card.

Jan 05. 2007 :- Wallet shows up. Credit Card still there. But money gone! ($200) Late that night, Optus tries to debit my credit card for Jan 2007's internet usage. But they can not because it's been cancelled.

Jan 12. 2007 :- Optus tries debiting my credit card again, but fails.

Jan 13. 2007 :- Finally get back home. I log on and there is a message from Optus saying that my account has been suspended. That's funny. The internet still works. So I talk to Optus Internet and explain the situation.
Since I am a little broke from being on holidays, i get into a payment arrangement for the Jan 20. 2007.
I hand over my new credit card details. And the guy tells me that the next time that "the system" will try to debit my card will be on the Jan 24. 2007.

Jan 19. 2007 :- Internet Account finally gets suspended. So after about 90 minutes and 3 disconnections due to loss lines, I finally get some one to acknowlegde the fact that I had a Payment Arrangement and that my service should of not been suspended. And this bit of arguing took me 60 minutes into my work day. My boss is wondering "WTF is going on?"
If there was not for the sudden disconnections while on hold. I had this one person in Financal Services telling me that there was No Payment Arrangement made in the first place.
And then after explaining who I talked on the 13th and that they told me that my service will not get suspended, i get a reply of
"I am sorry if they gave you the wrong impression"
So I go to speak to some one about cancelling my account. Straight away I get this guy that is all smiles and cheer about "So tell me why you want to cancel your services with us. What can we do to make you change your mind?"
So explain what was going on. I also explained to them a few other issues I have with them too.
So I then get transfered back to financail services.
At this stage I just wanted to wrap things up and get my service back online. I get some one in financial control telling me that...
* Optus will reactivate my account.
* That my credit card will get debited on the 24th Jan 2007.
* My billing date from now on will be the 24th of every month and that I will be paying Jan 2007 usage and Feb 2007 on the 24 Jan 2007.
I knew that there was some thing wrong with that last part, but I just wanted to resolve the immediate issue of my service being suspended. I will deal with it tomorrow.
3 hours later, I am back online

Jan 20. 2007
Call up optus billing about this new payment arrangement and that I am not really fond of :-
1. Having my billing date moved to the end of the month as that is when I am normally making other payments like insurance and all that.
2. What's the go with billing me fully for the usage between Jan 05 and Jan 24. Effectly this means that I am stuck paying for a full month, but only getting 30 days usage.
Now the problem was this. i was only speaking with some one in billing, and that I really need to talk with some one in Financal Services to get this sorted out. However they did give me a Credit for the 12 days worth of internet usage that i was going to loose because i was going to get billed early.

Jan 22. 2007
Spoke with financial services and got every thing sorted out.

Jan 24/25. 2007 Midnight
Optus bills me for the outstanding amount. However they have now reset my data usage back down to 0. I check on my account usage and they it's showing me that my billing period is not from Jan 25 to Feb 24.
So I then spoke with Optus again about what is going on with my bandwidth usage.
Optus :- I can see how much date that you have currently used this month. Nothing on off peak and about 2Gb peak.
Harper :- Mate. Lets get some thing straight. My computer does a lot of data whoring and there is no way that in the last 20 days that I just downloaded 2Gb worth of data.
(i checked last night, and it was up to around about 36Gb total)
Optus :- The system can be a little slow.
Harper :- Like about 20 days slow?

So until Optus gets there butt into gear, i got to play it say with my bandwidth. But then again, for all I know, my bandwidth could of been reset on Jan 24/25. 2007 Midnight, and it going to reset again on the 5th of Feb.

Anyways, long story shore, optus goes on and on about in their jingles about "Give Me The Simple Life". Like why does a simple payment arrangement have to be so complicated.

However i have had nothing but problems with them since day one. (Go back to April 2006 on this thread with my phone connection difficulties)
I can not wait until this contract is up because i am going to switch both my Phone and Internet provider.

But Wait, there is more with Optus

I basically get home from work. And I find out that my internet service once again gets suspended.

So I call up Optus Billing

BILLING :- It turns out that there has been a mistake at Financal Services End. Since they moved your normal billing back to the 4th of each month, our system has suspended you. Therefore you will be billed for both Jan 2007 and Feb 2007 on the Febuary 4th 2007.

HARPER :- So let me get this straight? You are now suspending my internet account because you guys can not be ar$e to debit my credit card account on the orginally agree date of the 24th of January 2007.

BILLING :- It was an error in our system and it's all been readjusted now.

:rolleyes:

Then I checked on my bandwidth usage. It turns out that my monthly bandwitdth quote got re-set this morning. And it will get re-set again when I get billed on the 4th of Feb. So currenlty I got about 2 weeks to blow thought a months worth a bandwidth.

BILLING :- Your bandwidth got re-set today and it will get reset again on the 4th of Febuary. If there is any problems with your bandwidth not resetting next month, just call us and we will reset it for you.

HARPER :- So translation of that is this.... because of all this F***ing around which was my fault to begin with, you are effectively giving me double the amount of bandwidth for January 2007 pariod.

BILLING :- Well from the 5th Jan to 24th Jan, and again for 25th Jan to 4th Feb, yes.

HARPER :- Well, I have to say that it a fair enough compensation for the amount of $#!+ you put me through in the last 2 weeks.

BILLING :- I am glad that this has worked out.

As the saying goes..... 'Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining' My happens to be double amount of bandwidth for one month.

Okay, the bandwidth thing is cool.

Over here we use some other type of card. If it gets stolen, you can have it blocked. You can still make payments, though (online banking, etc).

A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from a collection company. They charge € 5,00 for reminding me that I still have to pay my hosting provider (for a domain that I bought).

I told them I am not gonna pay those € 5,00 because I never received a bill or reminder from the hosting company in the first place.

I recently payed the domain costs to the hosting provider, even though they want me to transfer it to the collection company + € 5,00 they charge me.
Let's wait and see what will happen now. They'll probably sue me, lol.

TheMajor said:
Okay, the bandwidth thing is cool.

Over here we use some other type of card. If it gets stolen, you can have it blocked. You can still make payments, though (online banking, etc). [...] Let's wait and see what will happen now. They'll probably sue me, lol.

Ouch.. hopefully everything goes well for you Major...

Oh.. when are you going to upgrade your computer??? That 200mhz might give you trouble when you try and load Vista on it :)

HoLoCroN said:
Ouch.. hopefully everything goes well for you Major...

Oh.. when are you going to upgrade your computer??? That 200mhz might give you trouble when you try and load Vista on it :)

Actually, it's 225Mhz :D
I am using it as a server. Running 24/7. Windows XP. Vista requires 512 I think; but even if it would support 256 I wouldn't try it on my MMX.

I have upgraded about 1,5 year ago. Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1,63Ghz w/ 512 RAM, Ti4200 64MB.

I'm looking to do a major upgrade this year, but it depends on business.

The worst experience that I have ever had is probably all 50 times that I called some tech support and they couldn't figure out my problem, so I had to figure it out on my own while they were on the phone with me. They always feel so smart when the problem is fixed, even if I'm the one that ended up figuring things out. The downside of this is that now I'm tech support for all of my family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom