What is your worst Helpdesk/Tech Support Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol. i remember an old lady who had just gotten AOL. and was complaining about not getting her email. so i went over, and went online and everything was fine. i asked her what she had treid to do, and she said she just went in out look, i told her that she needed to get online to get her email, then she asked why, she said she had downloaded the whole internet yesterday! now thats a connection speed i wanna have.

Apokalipse said:
yeah, you can just download some more RAM into your computer.
Now where did I remember that Downloading More Ram for your computer from...............

Wow...Well.. this sucked but it was well worth the wait.

Been on dial up for 6 years.
I found out about Wildblue satelite through ATT.
So i call them up and order the value package. I was told the installation equipment would be there monday and the installer would be there tuesday. (this was on a wednesday)

Monday rolls around and no equipment so i get on the live chat service and the guy can't seem to figure out who i am and says my account doesn't exist.

He gives me a phone number to call so i call it and wait 45 minutes before someone picks up. He can't find my account either no matter what peice of information i give him. At this point im starting to get a little mad.

He transfers me to ATT thinking they could help me. This woman answers the phone after 20 minutes on hold and i explain the situation and she keeps assuring me that the dish network installers bring their own equipment and i should not be worried about the equipment being there. I explain to this woman 4 times that im not getting satelite TV... im getting satelite internet.. she doesn't know wtf is going on so she gives me a number to call....(she couldn't find my account either)

the same number that transfered me to her in the first place.

another 45 minutes on hold for this number and some guy answers the phone.

At this point, im ****ed.

10 minutes later he FINALLY finds my account. ugh.
He then informs me that the satelite equipment is on backorder and it'll be a couple weeks before i get it.

So i wait..

Equipment arrives last week and i was told the installer would be here today between 8 am and 12n.

they show up at 1pm.

installation took 3 hours which i didn't really care about.

Then the time came to hook it up to my computer... well, we do this and i can't receive a signal. So the installers give me a number to call because they have NO idea what's going on and then LEAVE. yes, they left before the job was done.

So im on the phone with this guy for like an hour doing tons of crap with the control panel/network connections/command prompt trying to receive an IP address and nothing is working...i ended up accidently hanging up on him so i called the number back and got someone else.

he put me on hold for like 10 minutes and then he came back and told me he found the guy i was talking to a few minutes ago and had him tell him teh story so he'd be up to date. well, me and this guy start talking for about 20 minutes about next months price cuts and games and just computers in general while he's trying to find something that could help me out.

He mentions something about drivers for a video card not working on one of his builds... and then we both just kind of go quiet and i realize that i didn't install the ethernet drivers when i formatted yesterday.

my fault.

LOL

My worst experience was with Sony. It got to a point when i couldnt even access customer support. Dell was not much better but the response (and apology) was quicker.

heres a little tip for you noobs,

Getting to a Human
Once you have a phone number, here are some tips to try to get through the computer to get to a live human:
1. Interrupt. Press 0 (or 0# or #0 or 0* or *0) repeatedly, sometimes quickly. Unfortunately the same keystroke does not always work for each company. Many IVRs will connect to a human after a few "invalid entries", although some IVRs will hangup. :-(
2. Talk. Say "get human" (or "agent" or "representative") or raise your voice, or just mumble. :) The IVR might connect you to a human after one of these key or unknown phrases.
3. Just hold, pretending you have only an old rotary phone.
4. Connect to account collections or sales or account cancellation; they always seem to answer quickly. First ask them for their name and rep number (so they know you are writing it down, and thus so they are more likely to help you.) Then ask them to transfer you to the department you need. Sometimes they will put you ahead of the queue, although sometimes they will send you to the end (and thus in those cases this tip is useless).
5. Toll call. For credit cards, if the expected wait time is too long, hangup and try to call back on their non-toll-free number, as they often have shorter queues.
6. Selecting the option for Spanish will sometimes get you a bilingual human more quickly than if you just waited for an English-only operator.
7. Press * at each prompt.
8. Say "member"; Press *0.
9.Press * repeatedly.
10.Choose language; hold.
11.Say "I don't know" and "operator" repeatedly.
12.Say "Advisor".
13.Say "agent."
14.Say "representative" after each message.
15.Press # # # # #.
;) Tip: did you know that your phone company charges $1.49 or more each time you call 411? Instead, try using 1-800-FREE-411.

BTW it works iv tried it on Rogers

Telstra Big Pond Tech Support.

For a week, my sister has been getting extremely slow as cable connections. (like 56k dial up was scored better)
And even after connecting the each of her computers (3 of them) one by one directly into her cable modem, and proceeding to do the same series trouble shooting set ; telstra was still convince that problem was at her end.

It was not until I showed up with a dodgy service invoice from my work (comptuer shop) and claiming that I am about to bill her $300 for my time to trouble shooter her computer network. And the fact that I will support her case with a the telecommunications onwordsman, which I was going to do any ways. I then get put on hold for about 10 minutes.

10 minutes later..... every thing was working fine.

Mine was with hughesnet. My internet would shut off for about 24 hours all the time and at the time it was for no aparent reason. So I call up customer service and wait on hold for 15 minutes only to get connected to some lady I can't understand, she tells me to do these bonehead tasks such as make sure my Ethernet cord was plugged in. I found it insulting after telling her to just skip to the stuff that would help several times. I was getting nowhere and she just told me it was the weather and hung up. WTF???

So I just deal with it and then about 3 days later it does it again, now this time I am livid and demand to talk someone higher up on the scale who can speak correct english. Of course this is a no go and she tells me it is because of high usage with all other customers and it is "slightly degrading performance". Well I can't imagine what happens when performance is severely slow.

Now I call a third time and refuse to leave until I have a proper excuse, this time I come prepared and physically ask "Does your service have a bandwidth cap?". THere is about a 5 second pause on the other end of the line and I ask again in a more demanding manner. She repliese " as of such and such date we have activated the high usage policy" or whatever. So I ask here "well I don't care about all that bullshi*, what actually happens" She says "if you download more then 200mb in a 24hour period we throttle your speed by 85% for another 24 hours." Well, 15 % of 117kbps is a whole lot of useless bandwidth. I was getting roughly 2.5kbps............... This was not in the terms of use and has yet to be publicized in any way by the company.

If anyone has considered Hughesnet, don't Customer service is not easily understood and connection speed is several kbps below minimum speed. Not to mention this insanely low bandwidth cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom