What is wrong with my PC?

A True Folder, does removing this clear plastic packaging film ruin the card? Because when I got mine it was like some what off so I just pulled the rest out as it wouldn't stick.
I hope we're talking about the same thing here, there should be no thin film covering the fan, you should be able to touch the fan vanes and the vents should be clear of any obstruction.

Thanks for the replies, the card is exactly how I got it a few months ago, I havent removed anything.
Did you check there is nothing over the fan as above?
Assuming that there is no plastic film etc involved I would suggest RMA, if you're not getting a picture (not even bios?) then the card is faulty

Also is it even possible to get this replaced as I believe the 8800GTS has reached EOL. I got it from scan and they no longer have it listed on their site.
Bonus, they "should" step you up to a 9800 series or if you're really lucky a 2xx series

There is nothing over the fan at all. How would I go about RMA ing it? Do I phone Scan, nVidia or Gainward? Also what if I send it off to them and they find no fault with it?

If Scan is the vendor then contact them.
If they find no fault you'll get it back and have to start troubleshooting again.

Either way you'll be up for some postage costs if the store isn't local.

I have contacted them and after a bit of hassle they agreed to RMA it. They said they will replace it with a "similar or better" model. So if they are sending me this one, then find no fault with mine, do they take the new one back? This shouldn't be a problem as I am very sure the graphics card is at fault especially as it smelt like it was burning when I tried it today, just wondering really.

I have no idea on Scans policy mate, there should be details on their website or you could call them and ask.

Hopefully they'll just replace the card, burning smell is not good.

It might be a processor problem. Might be cooler stops spinning, or it just gets overheated. I have got the same problem as you describe, and then realized that my cooler holders are broken... It might not be caused by the cooler, but very likely to be a processor.

It might be a processor problem. Might be cooler stops spinning, or it just gets overheated. I have got the same problem as you describe, and then realized that my cooler holders are broken... It might not be caused by the cooler, but very likely to be a processor.

It's not the processor. I would put my life on it. The video card was screaming, that usually means there is not enough power going to it. I would start with a new PSU here, then look into video card and RAM.

Back
Top Bottom