What is wrong with my brain ?

If you really think that something has physically changed in your brain, you might be right. If you feel that you can't concentrate or actually grasp onto any concepts you learn, perhaps something has happened. I don't know if it directly relates to the gameplaying, but it could have brought your mind into a different state that doesn't function well as a studier. If you actually believe this has happened, there are some really effective ways to try to "fix" it; meditation is by far the most powerful. I know it sounds stupid, but it works. I used to try to drink Red Bull before I studied, and it was useless; I still couldn't concentrate. My philosophy teacher recommended several specific types of meditation - he said it would help me just to remember and actually take in what I was hearing, not just listen to it. I used it for a couple of weeks, and since then, my grades have improved and I feel like I'm actually learning stuff.

I dunno, it might sound farfetched - but if you really believe your brain has changed, then meditation is going to help you more than little helpful study rituals. Look on google for some tecniques, or if you're actually interested I could post some more on it.

You didn't already say if you've been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, and I don't want to start an arguement here, but if you haven't done that yet, don't. The last thing that you're gonna need right now are meds.

Good luck, and hope things get better for you!

Well for a start i wouldnt worry about what other people are doing. If you only feel there is something wrong with you because other people are better than you then i wouldnt worry . there will always be people who are better than you at things thats just a fact of life so i wouldnt make yourself feel this way if its only cos peopel are better than you .
SAy yo get 60% in a test and everyone else gets 80% , they will all be aiming for 90% but you should aim for 70% . only try and improve in small steps . never expect to just wake up one morning and get a high test score . you have to put the work in
Another thing if you feel your brain has physicaly changed well then go and see a doctor they will be able to help you .

Also ask a teacher or a friend to go through things with you from class . Most importantly repeat things over and over . for instance if you have to learn a forumula keep repeating the learning process everyday till you just remember it . My maths teacher told us , the only reason why i am so good at maths (meaning himself) is because i used to practice , again and again till i could do it blindfolded .

Trust me, when I went to Adult Ed, my grades went sky high. It's all because I was interested in the subject. But, you need to amke an effort in yourself to be interested in it. If you don't, you'll end up being in the same place you have.

Playing is something that drives you away from day to day routine. Play when you've studied and done all your stuff for the night. If you manage your day, you'll have better grades. You just need to make an effort.

There's nothing wrong with your brain. Stop blaming other factors and take responsibility for yourself! Study more, and put some more effort into your school work.

Is it just me or have there been quite a few of these types of threads lately?

i agree with jon f. i really cant take u seriously about the fact that videogames for 10 years screwed u. u obviously just need discipline.

Ponder for a minute that there are different types of learning, I know myself that i am a Kinesthetic learner which means i like to go hands on with things and grasp the material, if i do that i can learn much better.

Also don't blame the games, I've been playing games for as long as i can physical remember, I'll give away my age, I'm 14, I've been playing GTA (real mind rotting games) science i was 5, and i been addicted to Mario platform games since i was old enough to hold the control for my SNES, i reckon most people on the boards have been gaming for a while, even though I'm been gaming for all that time, I'm still top of my class, in Science and maths, their my fave subjects (probably because of the logic element) but i just saying Games haven't screwed me over i doubt they've done much harm to you, just figure out how you best learn and work on that.

Tom

What grade are you in? I think you're just not studying the right way. It happened to me and a lot of my buddies our first year in high school. We never had to study in middle school, it just came to us easily.

So we just basically failed tests for a month or two. Obviously we weren't doing something right, so we went to see our teacher about it. That's what you need to do. Assuming your teachers care about how you do, they'll be more than happy to help you out.

Instead of just "reading over your notes" (which won't do a damn thing to get you to retain information) you need to make outlines of the textbook and notes, review flash cards, and draw pictures or diagrams to help you remember the information.

You have been playing GTA since five? Wow.

Yeah like other people have said, try to talk to your teachers. They got a degree in learning and they might be able to help you out. Try not to go to a doctor unless you really have to, because doctors like to prescribe medication just to look like they are doing something, even if the meds are not going to do anything for you.

So like people have said, revise your study skills, talk to a teacher and most importantly, do not give up.

I have trouble processing information. I think its because I spent 10 years playing videogams growing up and literally fried my brain. I am in high school but still in Algebra 1. My grades always suck. Its like I can't remember what Ive learned.

All I want is to do good. I pay attention in class, take all of the notes, and do the homework. But once a test comes along I have no idea what I have learned. Its not ADD or ADHD or a short attention span. And its not "over achieving". Its my brain.

Somehow Its been tweaked and I can't untweak it. All those years of videogames and not doing anything in school has led me to be dumbfounded when I want to do good the most. Any suggestions ?

You sound exactly like me. It's not the video games though, they are not as bad as you think (Contrary to what the medical society says, but history says they are often wrong).

Most of my problem was lack of motivation, and I was doing alot of stuff that I did not find interesting. And also being a kinesthetic learner, high school was harder on me as it's mainly audio / visual learning and hardly any hands on learning. ADHD didn't help me either though.

Back
Top Bottom