What is with the lack of Maxtor HDD's??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
I've checked multiple sites and I'm having a hard time finding the HD I want..
What really matters? RPM or Cache??

I found this one a while ago, but something fell thru with the transaction and it ended up not going thru...

Maxtor 500g 32m cache 7200 RPM. I'd like a Maxtor HD, or a Seagate, but I'm having a hard time finding Maxtors now.. Or atleast the one I want, this piece of crap in my rig now does this ticking thing and the whole system freezes up and I have to restart. Last time I buy a reman HDD.. -Not even sure if it WAS reman, but it didn't come with anything, just the drive and the receipt.

What gives??

They are fairly rubbish and become seagates lacky brand to sell all the drives that don't meet spec. For speed you want the least number of platters and the most memory and modern tech so come out in the last couple of years. Hdd's don't come with anything usually as they are OEM the cables come with the motherboard and psu should already have the correct plugs.

Western digital are the fastest atm in both 7200rpm and 10,000rpm (commercial drives), Seagate 7200.11 barracuda's are the most reliable (IMO), Samsung spinpoints are the quietest. They are all fast though there is only 2mb/sec either way which isn't a noticeable speed difference. I wouldn't buy a new maxtor drive there sub 5 year old drives are good but slow by modern standards and if they have been used reaching the end of there life.

Firstly, Maxtors are rubbish. I have a few of them fail on me. Thankfully I did managed to catch them before they totally died. Plus I look after the RMA in a computer shop.

Secondly, Maxtor has been taken over by seagate a few years back. And just like Maxtor taking over Quatum, i don't see Maxtors name being around for that much longer.

Wow. VERY informative! Just the info I needed!!

I bought a Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 500G last night; 32mb cache, 7200RPM for $58 and got 3rd day shipping for $8.

My HDD started the click of death today and didn't stop, restarted and it said I was missing a system file. Now it's not booting at all. Boots half way thru windows and restarts.

I'm DONE with maxtor HD's!!!!!! This is the second one to crap out on me in two months!!!!! I'm pretty ticked to say the least. This HD is only two months old!! I'm writing this from my blackberry.

My Seagate should be here on friday. I knew seagate made maxtor, so I figured I' try them. I had one in one of my first computers from 2000 or so and I never had a problem with it, come to think of it.

Yea I had a few go on me in the past, All of them out of warranty so i was screwed oh well at least I got Segates now.

To be honest i have a suspicion that Maxtor are censintration on there external drives more now.

My Seagate should be here on friday. I knew seagate made maxtor, so I figured I' try them. I had one in one of my first computers from 2000 or so and I never had a problem with it, come to think of it.

Seagate bought Maxtor, but Seagate branded drives are much better than Maxtor branded drives. Maxtor is a little better now than they were, say, 3-4 years ago...but they're still not really worth buying. Seagate and Western Digital are pretty cheap, and the Samsung Spinpoints are proving themselves now as well. No real reason to buy Maxtor tbh.

Seagate bought Maxtor, but Seagate branded drives are much better than Maxtor branded drives. Maxtor is a little better now than they were, say, 3-4 years ago...but they're still not really worth buying. Seagate and Western Digital are pretty cheap, and the Samsung Spinpoints are proving themselves now as well. No real reason to buy Maxtor tbh.

Been quit happy with the Samsung drives. Not that many RMAs. For my own system, i would trust them for a OS drive, but I would still stick with Seagate or Western Digital for my data drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom