what is this?

That what it looks like. It's good stuff. I want to start investing in one of those too. It's like a portable data storage in which a regular hard drive mounts in there, you plug the data and power cable in there and everything's set. It transfers data by means of USB so that's pretty convienent. Great backup device. They also make enclosures for SATA drives too.

Kind of like a pen drive, but bigger in every way.

im just having trouble installing my new hdd onto my dell since it cant house another hard drive.

if anyone has any first hand experiences with that item or anything like it, please post and give me some kind of review, as i've never seen anything like it before. thanks again.

Xp has the drivers and recognizes it just plugging the usb or firewire.
You better format it in FAT 32, that way data can be interchanged between W98/Xp/Mac...

Yes, the enclosure allows you to install a regular 3.5" internal HDD inso as to make an external backup drive.
Personally, I wouldn't waste my money, as they are not all that reliable. There are a lot of conflicts between the manufaturer of the case controls and the manufacturer of the HDD connections and jumper settings. Then there is an issue about power problems as most external HDD pull more power than what is supplied within USB protocol so it may work or may not work.
The best external HDD are those that are manufactuered as a whole unit with their own power source and not USB powered.
If you wish to explore this avenue further because you have some old drives laying around and a few dollars to spare then go for it for the experience. You just may stumble onto a system that works for you.
As to the format issue...most of the external drives come factory formatted as Fat 32 so as to be used by more than 1 operating system.
To format:
plug in the usb connector and any outside power sources for the ExHdd...boot your system and allow windows to find the new hardware. If windows doesn't find it look in "device manager" under disc management and locate the drive. Right Click the drive and a drop down menue will show a format choice click that and follow the prompts as to what format you wish to use Fat 32 or NTSF(windows xp only)
Good luck!!

The best external HDD are those that are manufactuered as a whole unit with their own power source and not USB powered.

it seems like the enclosure that i linked you to is powered using an ac adapter, with usb2.0 for the data transfers.

well if it you think its a bad idea, then would it be a good idea to just let my new internal hdd lay down on the bottom of my case (since my dell has no second drive bay slot/mount)?

Back
Top Bottom