What is the difference between shared hosting and dedicated

I think Dedicated Hosts only host websites.

Shared Hosts provide other services other than hosting websites.

At least, I think that's the difference, I'm not at all sure.

Shared hosting means you host your single website on someone else's server.

Dedicated hosting means you get your own server and get to host as many websites as you want. You can use a dedicated server for much more than hosting websites, you can host streaming radio, multiplayer gameservers, IRC Channels...

Shared (virtual) hosting is a hosting where you share a server with many other websites. Could be a few hundred or more sites on that same server..

Dedicated servers are servers that you alone use. Dedicated IPs, faster service and so on..

Shared hosting you can get for as little as 3 bucks a month.. Dedicated usally starts around 100 bucks a month.

Shared Hosting is typically cheaper than Dedicated Hosting.

Because you're sharing the web servier with others, shared hosting could be slower in performance.

Dedicated Hosting is that you lease the rack server entirely for yourself - allowing you to create an almost unlimitless number of web sites. Plus, you get SecureShell access (for linux servers) so that you can pretty much full configuration.

If you are planning on creating many web sites (doesn't matter if they are small or big), then dedicated is the way to go. It's fairly cheap now.

pookie-pum

http://news.hometechtalk.com

The Consumer's Guide to Home Technologies

ya like some isp's give you...say...25meg of storage to make a website...that would be shared hosting

Exactly. The machine you upload to will be serving countless other people's web pages. You'll also probably have banner ads if you're using a free server. I mean BAD banner ads. The kind that make your computer noticably slow when you see them.

Dedicated hosting would have to mean, you getting a block of static ip addresses from your isp, then you running a dedicated server at your home..instead of you using...your isps servers....alot of people prefer linux servers

In shared hosting, multiple sites hosted on a single server. While in dedicated hosting server is not shared with anybody. It provides an individual client with their own hosting server for their website. Dedicated hosting is more flexible than shared hosting.

Back
Top Bottom