What is the difference between SATA HARDRIVE AND IDE HARDRIVES?

computerfix101

In Runtime
I am fixing a computer and i was suppost to giv ethe computer a clean installation of Windows XP Home Edition because something happened and it brought a blue screen saying UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. But When I ran the windows cd it couldn't recognize the Hardrive. So I open it up and I see the HD and relized it is different than the ones I work with. I was like FUCK!
So I researched it and I found out its a SATA Hardrive. Gee-Wierd...

So It would never let me install XP on the SATA Hardrive. So I installed VISTA with 1GB of RAM... RUns smoooth but slows down every once in a0while.

Does anyone know how I could install XP Instead of keeping Vista. I tried loading the disk with Vista OS on. and it didn't allow me to do anything.

With the XP disk, you need to make sure you have the SATA drivers on a floppy disc prior to installing. This will be on the motherboard CD, and some BIOS's may allow you to load from the CD source, but with most, you'll have to copy the file to a floppy first with the data on for SATA to install in the Windows installation for Windows to recognise your hard drive.

When "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver" shows up, press "F6". Then, press "S" to specify additional device when next screen pops up. Put the driver floppy disk you made in and press enter to continue.
If the floppy disk is loaded successfully, Windows will ask for correct driver, to continue installation.

After that has installed, Windows should carry on installing as normal.
IDE is old now, and was still around when XP came about. Sata was new, so no support was included within the installation.

You should find them on the motherboard driver disk, given with the motherboard, since it'll be the motherboards hardware that will support RAID/SATA drives, and so you'll need a specific makes driver to make it run alright.
Some motherboard makes may still put this on a floppy disk, or may allow you to load the driver from a bootable part of the CD. It all depends on the make.

Nope, you have to find out the chip and the driver the motherboard uses for the SATA to work. What is the make, and the model number?

Well I was fixing the computer at the time. I just returned it to him and he says he likes vista so I was like thats cool :D :D

But thanks anyways.

Back
Top Bottom