What is Intel Viiv?

hd-dvd and blu-ray? does that mean that i wont be able to play hd-dvd and blu ray on my comp without viiv? even if i get the bluray/hd-dvd drives?

Actually if you have or are considering building an HTPC, Intel Viiv is what you want. Intel Viiv is special drivers and technology to enhance the experience of watching TV form your PC, or movies, or songs, anythgin media associated. Don't slam Viiv because you don't knwo what it is people. Viiv coupled with Media Center Edition and a good HTPC, you'll enjoy a much better experience then if you threw a Dell and made an HTPC out of it. Intel Viiv is what you want.

For a comparision, Intel Viiv is what AVIVO is to the ATI All-In-Wonder cards, there's a big difference from an A-I-W card form the standard card when running an HTPC. :) Get Viiv if an HTPC is what you want. ;)

basically, it enhances all aspects of multimedia entertainment on a PC for maximum clarity and sharpter sounds. I'm going to be presenting this at work so there's already some good info to refer to.

john123 said:
dude, stop using the bold print!!

Hes got a good reason, he cant see the posts very well because of his eyesight, so he does his in bold so he can see them properly, he struggles to see ours.

So no-one else tell him to stop, hes a nice guy!

Viiv is nice I know, and it could come in handy, only if you are really really into MCE, and watching TV on your computer etc.

TRDCorolla said:
Hi everyone. What exactly is Intel Viiv? I keep checking out Intel's site and they refer to Viiv as a technology. But what technology? Is it a chipset? Advance software encoded into the newer CPUs? I know what it does, like it allows you to turn your computer into a complete home theater/multimedia system.

It's a name for a certain set of hardware required to carry that name. So Intel Viiv requires a certain set of hardware, just like AMD Live!. Take Intel Centrino for example. MANY people confuse this with the Pentium M processor. It isn't. Centrino is basically a Pentium M processor, Intel 9xx chipset and Intel Wireless Pro network adapter. In order for companies to put the Centrino Technology sticker on their laptops and declare that laptop "Centrino enabled", those three pieces of hardware need to be in that laptop. If it isn't, Intel has the right to sue for misuse of a brand-name.

It's really just a way to standardize HTPC's (Home Theater PC) into a marketable sector. Also, Viiv commonly pronounced wrong. It rhymes with five, the i's aren't pronounced as e's. So it's not pronounced "Veev". Just thought I'd let you guys know, because it's a common mistake.

I think it's a huge coincidence that Intel Viiv rhymes with AMD Live! Isn't that funny? They help promote each other in that sense. You don't really have to have Media Center OS to run it right? They claim that it's best to use Windows MCE.

This is like a huge hype at work regarding this so it should hit the market pretty big.

Back
Top Bottom