What is going on with UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran the parcel line for a good while at my former job. The parcel line was where stuff was shipped out via FedEx, UPS, FedEx Priority, and via air. Most of the drivers said the same things Mak said.

I also got to deal with returns from said carriers, mostly where a package was placed on the wrong pallet. I can tell you, based on the Chattanooga terminals, that FedEx's returns came back exactly how they left with a label added as to why it came back. The FedEx returns also came back within a day or two. The UPS returns, however, took three days to a week and looked like it had been through a war, used as a football for an entire season, and drug behind the delivery truck... beaten, battered, crushed, torn, and filthy. Fully 75% of the UPS returns had to be written off and repicked due to damage and missing items (which fell through the gaping holes made in the boxes.

Well my knowledge comes from B&K where i was the shipping and receiving coordinator. Everything that came into the building or went out of the building was through me. So i knew exactly how everything looked when it left and came back due to damage. It was the same thing as Trotter said. They were fubar.

I got to know the drivers well cause loading up the units to be shipped took about 30 minutes and we had a good chance to talk. Which is where i got almost all of this info i presented.

90% of the time the drivers were not happy with the shipment we sent cause it was always like 3-4 pallets of units which ranged from 25 pounds to 75 pounds. They were large as well. So those pallets could load up the truck and force them to have to head back to dispatch and unload to go back out and get the rest of their stuff done. We called ahead to the driver most days to warn them of the amount going out so they could prepare better. I had all of the drivers cell numbers to call them directly.

FedEx was a bit different for us as we did almost all our shipping out via UPS. But from the many times i got to talk to them i got my info. I was even asked a few times to apply to be a driver. I of course declined as i didnt want to work those hours. they were telling me they started some days at 3 or 4 am just to get the truck loaded to get out for deliveries by 8 am.

Being a driver is tough. Having to fight traffic all day and the fools out there on the road. then to deal with angry customers when they get a package that is totally fubar when they got it and have to try and explain why or how it happened. It is tough. I am sympathetic with my driver at home and at work. They are doing the best they can. Yeah they took the job and all of that. But pressure from above is always a brat to deal with. ;)

Being a driver is tough. Having to fight traffic all day and the fools out there on the road. then to deal with angry customers when they get a package that is totally fubar when they got it and have to try and explain why or how it happened. It is tough. I am sympathetic with my driver at home and at work. They are doing the best they can. Yeah they took the job and all of that. But pressure from above is always a brat to deal with. ;)

Sure it may be a tough job, but nobody is forcing them to do it.

And it doesn't give them the right to treat other people's property with complete disrespect. If they can't do their job without throwing **** around then maybe they should talk to management and get more drivers, or figure something else out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom