What Hardware To Use?? Please help

cetrax

Baseband Member
Hello,

I am looking to transfer my large sd video collection to a hard drive and connect to my wired network so I can play the videos on all the tv's in my home. I have 3 sony blu ray players hooked up to 3 tv's via wired ethernet connections.

I was thinking of getting a wireless router with gigabit ethernet ports and a usb to connect the ext hard drive thru to accomplish this, but have heard that would be very slow.

Is this the way I should do this? If not what are some better suggestions that I could use to stream the files from the ext hard drive to the blue ray players via wired ethernet connection.

I am stumped. So any help is greatly appreciated...

Gigabit ethernet would be ideal.

For what it's worth, I have TV shows on my computer that I stream to my TV over 802.11n and it works no problem. My computer is hard wired to the network, TV is wireless and my router is only 10/100.

Sounds good. How to I do that with windows 7? My blu ray players are DLNA will they automatically detect my computer or do I need software like Servio or something?

Also my sd movies range from 4 to 5gb each. When transfering them to mp4 what file size should I shoot for. Should I stay with 4 or 5gb or is it okay to go lower in mp4 format. I will be streaming my video collection to a 40" and 47" lcd tv's.

Thanks for the help.

A hard way, you could put the hard drive in a computer and then put that computer on your LAN and then let that computer be you media "server". I've done it..... once and it worked.

Back
Top Bottom