What happened ..

David Lindon said:
It is not necessary that upgrades are made at all. In my opinion, if its working ok then what is the need? but ofcourse there are 1 or 2 members who keep harping on about we need to upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 :rolleyes: and generally make me look bad about 'how I don't care' if it doesn't get done, etc etc. so eventually I think well maybe it would run better, more reliable and faster so whats the harm.

Web server software: Took several days to get it to run ok with vbulletin, database and php. Lots of downtime for everyone and lots of work for me.

PHP upgrade: Took several days to correctly get it to work with database software. = downtime

Vbulletin = a few hours downtime to upgrade, months for users to find where functions had moved to.

Database software: didn't agree with data created from previous version = crash and 1-2 days downtime.

And its still ongoing, vbulletin now tell me that this version of vb does not run well at all with the newer database software. So I need to have the latest vb and the latest database software which means another upgrade and so it goes on.........

Maybe things would run smoother if upgrades we run more frequently, so less of a jump, maybe thats a better stratergy?

So next time one of those? omg why hasn't vbulletin been upgraded to 3.0.0.0.x by now? We all now the answer.
*ahem* I didn't think about all that when I was a new member complaining about the old version of vBulletin. :p Then I got a server. >_>

But does this mean we're getting a vBulletin upgrade? (because you said it doesn't work well with the latest version of the DB software)

From what I've saw, it's not mandatory to upgrade the MySQL and PHP software; most shared hosts use older versions of PHP especially that function properly with most old and new software.

Word of warning though; a friend of mine tried to upgrade his copy of vBulletin, and didn't take a backup before, something went wrong so the whole forum was lost so he had to revert back to a backup taken weeks ago... weeks of posts lost. So if you do upgrade anything it's best to take a database backup immediately before.

i think it's good to upgrade the Vbulletin software when it's available...i imagine it will provide better security for the site and the members, and may function better also for better user enjoyment. i am curious though...it still says vbulletin version 3.0.7 at the bottom, and that's the same version we had before the upgrade and crash. did the upgrade not work, so we kept the same version? also, i have noticed on some other sites that they have been up to version 3.6.5 for some time, so 3.0.7 seems like an awlfully old version is it not?

Brookfield said:
So why are we doing it David?, or is he in error. [no offence LGG]
@Brookfield: It's not mandatory, but can help protect against vunerabilities and keep the server running fine. I guess David cares about the stability of the server, so he does it. From when I used to have a website, I never saw a need to upgrade.

@thebigdintx: From what I can understand, the database software was upgraded, not vBulletin. We wouldn't see any changes from the PHP or MySQL being updated.

Back
Top Bottom