What happened to my PC?

GVSS

Baseband Member
So, I was burning a DVD the other day, went downstairs to make lunch, came back to my computer and it was mysteriously turned off.

I tried rebooting my computer and got nothing. So.. What happened?

I have mobo power lights, network port lights and front case power lights are on. Optical drives wont open, no fans turn on, no noise comes from the computer at all.

By best guess is that my CPU died or my PSU died.

Any help on pinning down the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like it could be the PSU or motherboard. Anything else would usually permit the system to power up (though it may fail to POST). I would try swapping out the PSU to begin with, if you're able to. Failing that, disassembling and reassembling with minimal components (i.e., one stick of RAM, no graphics card if possible etc.) and seeing if it is one of those causing the issue.

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY: essentialx3
check to make sure no wires fell out on the inside

Checked all the wires and they are all good, as well all cards connecting to the mobo.

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY: Denthúl
I would try swapping out the PSU to begin with

The only spare PSU I have access to is from an old pentuim4 (non HT) from a dell. I have a Pentium D 820, with an intel D945PSN mobo. will this PSU power my system for me to tell whether or not it is the PSU?

Thanks again guys

Checked all the wires and they are all good, as well all cards connecting to the mobo.

The only spare PSU I have access to is from an old pentuim4 (non HT) from a dell. I have a Pentium D 820, with an intel D945PSN mobo. will this PSU power my system for me to tell whether or not it is the PSU?

Thanks again guys

As long as it is an ATX power supply and you have a standard ATX system, I don't see why not. If it's a lower-wattage PSU and your system includes high-end components, it might not power all of them, but I can't see why it would not power the minimal amount (i.e. CPU, RAM and motherboard). :)

Back
Top Bottom