What Graphics Card to get for my Dell?

The op stated he wanted to use a 1050Ti, which would make it borderline
Not really, the 1050ti has a 25W less TDP. I've also ran a 1070 and Quadro M5000 off a 160W HP PSU. I doubt it's a platinum rated unit like the HP I was messing with but more than enough for the CPU and a low wattage GPU.

Why take chances with your hardware when you know it would be much better to be running a 450w + psu?
Just because it will run on low watts does not mean that you ought too. I think anybody not running the minimum required watts specified by the OEM run the risk of frying something and also violating any warranty at the same time.

Last edited:
Why take chances with your hardware when you know it would be much better to be running a 450w + psu?
Just because it will run on low watts does not mean that you ought too. I think anybody not running the minimum required watts specified by the OEM run the risk of frying something and also violating any warranty at the same time.
The minimum watts are specified by the OEM to give a cushion to anything else that might be running in the machine. In this case we have a SFF which means the only hardware that matters is the CPU and GPU. Considering the age of the hardware in it, warranty doesn't apply here. We have a 240W PSU and let's say that it's a bronze (didn't look it up, only assuming for the math here) so we have little to no headroom.

A 1050ti Gaming X Trio (factory OC'd full size card) pulls a maximum of 75W at peak gaming according to the TPU review. The CPU is a non K with OEM power limitations in the bios to conform to the TDP so that's 65W. When we add them up we have a solid 100W of headroom for any variables.

When we talk about the HP I molested by slapping a full size card on it, that thing had a Xeon 1240 V5 in it and a 160W Platinum PSU. That platinum PSU will have easily 100-200W of overhead. It didn't even get warm when I was running The Witcher 3 on the 1070 mainly because the PSU only had to drive the GPU. Max consumption of a 1070 is below what the PSU is rated for and the overhead takes care of what little the CPU would be using in a single threaded application. In the case of gaming it'll be the same for the OPs Dell. If I was realistically maxing out what the PSU was capable of OCP would kick it off, but it never got warm. We can't assume the OPs Dell will be overbuilt like the Z240 I was playing with, but he has more than enough wattage to push the CPU and a LP GPU that will be limited by thermals before power.

C'mon.. can you honestly state that a Dell psu actually outputs the 250W that it is rated for??? It is very well known that OEM's use the very least output quality on their psu's. Do not attempt to prove otherwise. Dell states 250w but that is most likely a 70% psu, which means your looking at about 175w actual output. Regardless of warranty (and not the pc but the GPU) your still running a risk. If your new 1050ti pukes you know that the OEM will ask for specs, and if you tell them you were running it on a 250w Dell psu... kiss that RMA goodbye.

175W of actual is still more than enough to run a GPU that doesn't require external power and his 65W CPU. It's a bronze, it'll give him the 250W but no overhead and probably trip OCP at about 240W. That's 100W of overhead. You're assuming this dude is going to max the CPU when his GPU will be a bottleneck even at 1080p. The most this machine will pull while playing a game is around 110W.

Don't be a hypocrite because I guarantee you'd be ok with putting a GT 1030 in here which the GDDR5 versions have been known to hit over 50W usage which is just shy of what the 1050ti can pull. Both cards being without external power requirement and a max possible draw of 75W off the slot.

1650 Super would be borderline since it requires external power and has a TDP of 100W. A 1050ti would be perfectly fine long as it's the LP. That machine I talked about earlier is still playing games to this day, it'll be fine. It's not like we're talking Apevia level PSUs with FX 8350s and dudes trying to use 7970s lol.

Basic level. Not blue smoke Apevia/Raidmax but not quite eVGA Bronze level either. It's enough to run basic hardware within it's limits ala 1050ti LP and his CPU which is sub 100W.

Back
Top Bottom