What GPU do I get

charliechunders

Beta member
so I am looking for a new GPU to improve gaming performance, here is a little bit of background so you guys can help me out, I play on a TV, with the res of 1336 x 768, I currently have the CPU AMD FX 8350 8 cores, But an AMD Radeon 5750 hd which is a very old and bad graphics card, I have 8gb of ram also, if you know any decent graphics cards that would be good for me let me know, also the GPU slot on my motherboard in PCI-E :)

Provided you have a good power supply... Either an Nvidia GTX970 or an AMD Radeon R9 390... I would personally go for the GTX970.

On that resolution, my recommendation is to not go less than Nvidia GTX 960.

I use a TV's with computers too and found that Nvidia cards were far more friendly than AMD's in this regard.

Just make sure the power supply is gaming min. 400W of good quality makers with 2x 6pin video card rails.

Higher video cards the better, but better Power supplies are needed.

The above is for the basic video card chip set. Then after that different makers provide different specs with different prices.

The resolution you're gaming as is just a tad higher than 720p - not much horsepower these days is required to drive 60FPS at high/ultra settings at 720p, the only real thing to consider is frame buffer (amount of dedicated VRAM) used in postprocessing and anti-aliasing.

an R9 370 (AMD's cheapest gaming oriented card) will drive good frame rates at 720p on high settings, and won't break the bank - but it's frame buffer of 2GB is a bit limiting.

As was previously said, NVIDIA do seem to be friendlier towards TV-type screens compared to AMD cards - Though either will work, AMD just tend to have this flicker (mostly due to the type of input mechanism used in TVs) that can get a bit annoying.

Cards I'd recommend for you (Also as previously stated, you'll need a good quality power unit from a company such as SeaSonic, Corsair, Cooler Master or EVGA... Most power units are MADE by SeaSonic and then rebranded by other manufacturers :))

GTX 960/970 - 960 is way powerful enough to drive high/ultra gaming with reasonable MSAA at 720p... 970 is overkill but you can push more post-processing and crank everything up that bit more and not have to worry about frame rates, it also has double the frame buffer of the 960 (4GB).

AMD R9 380/390 - 4GBs and 8GBs respectively, you might run into some flickering or other annoying issues with AMD as I said before, but you can't deny the horsepower or the VRAM on offer here for this price. Bare in mind, AMD cards have a higher thermal design profile and will probably run hotter and use more power.

:angel:

Watch the 970 as there are a lot of issues with that one especially for gaming.
I still like the R9 280X I have been using and it fits your pricepoint.

Watch the 970 as there are a lot of issues with that one especially for gaming.
I still like the R9 280X I have been using and it fits your pricepoint.

Are you talking about the memory glitch? If so, that's technically present on all graphics cards once they use the main memory buffer.

Back
Top Bottom