What Factors would Influence you to Purchase a Smartwatch? Responses needed for my dissertation/thesis study

sshort1

Beta member
Hi everyone,

If this kind of post is not permitted then I have no issue with its removal.

For my dissertation I am investigating what factors would influence smartwatch purchase intentions.

I am posting this in off topic as I would like to take a brand neutral approach and due to the nature of the post.

I feel that smartwatches were hyped up to be the next big consumer technology product, however with sales not as high as expected and with Pebble being sold to Fitbit, along with their cancellation of products, it seems that they are not doing as well as initially expected. Arguably it can be said that they have seen some moderate success, we shall have to see what the coming of Android Wear 2.0 brings.

And so for my dissertation I am investigating what factors would be likely to influence someone to purchase a smartwatch, it would be fantastic if you could spare 3-5 minutes of your time to fill in my questionnaire (PLEASE NOTE: You must be 18-25 and must not currently own a smartwatch to complete it).

Link here: https://plymouthbusiness.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bpCBeWVCYLb8Cm9

Thank you in advance, any responses are would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Completed, not sure if it helps or not, but the fact that smartwatches cost more than a cell phone is one of the main reasons I do not, and will not own one.

Thank you so much!

And yes this may help with my discussion actually, I haven't thought about comparing the prices to other products such as smartphones, this may be an interesting point to explore.

Completed, not sure if it helps or not, but the fact that smartwatches cost more than a cell phone is one of the main reasons I do not, and will not own one.

For me, it comes down to this, and the fact that I'm not sure what a smartwatch can give me that my phone doesn't already give (outside of fitness).
I've only seen one genuinely useful feature for me being used so far, and that's controlling Spotify music at a house party :lol:

I own a Fitbit Charge 2, and whilst it is not a fully fledged smart watch like an Apple Watch, it gives an experience which I believe is all a smart watch requires:

1) I can turn off sound/vibration on my phone, and my watch will still buzz at me when I receive a text message/phone call - particularly useful at work where I'm away from my desk or don't want the phone to buzz loudly on the desk.
2) Fitness tracking - records heartrate and steps etc
3) Tells the time...
4) Looks good
5) Can read text messages

I don't think a watch will *replace* a phone any time soon due to screen size etc, but it makes a very good accessory for the phone... especially if you're into your fitness too!

Thanks for the responses so far! Seems to be similar to what i'm thinking at the moment, they do have some quirky functionality features (such as the music control) but this isn't enough to sway people. I feel that they will become more fitness oriented in the future.

I'm 30, but I tell you, from what I've seen, I enjoy the view on someone else's wrist. I wore very few watches as a kid/young adult, and after I got wrist tattoos, decided I'd never get anything that would cover them up that wasn't a jacket or shirt sleeves. I have no desire to learn the ins and outs of a smartwatch, or spend the (sometimes) copious amounts of money for the convenience of sometimes leaving my phone in my pocket.

Back
Top Bottom