What does this message mean?

It's got to be a spoof. It looks so darn real though, down to the last detail except for the padlock key down at the bottom that revealed the SSL strength.

whois.xreg.co.uk said:
Request: paypal.co.uk

Domain name:
paypal.co.uk

Registrant:
PayPal (Europe) Limited

Registrant type:
UK Limited Company, (Company number: 4056498)

Registrant's address:
Hotham House
1 Heron House
Richmond Upon
Thames
Surrey
TW9 1EJ
GB

Registrant's agent:
VeriSign Digital Brand Management Services [Tag = IDNAMES]
URL: http://www.verisign.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 06-Jan-2000
Renewal date: 06-Jan-2008
Last updated: 22-Mar-2006

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns1.nix.paypal.com
ns2.nix.paypal.com
ns1.sc5.paypal.com
ns2.sc5.paypal.com

WHOIS lookup made at 07:12:11 15-Sep-2006

--
This WHOIS information is provided for free by Nominet UK the central registry
for .uk domain names. This information and the .uk WHOIS are:

Copyright Nominet UK 1996 - 2006.

networksolutions.com/whois/ said:
paypal.com
http://www.networksolutions.com/enhancedWHOISImageThumbnail.do?whoistoken=1&rand=1158300988321&method-show=

Certified Offer Service - Make an offer on this domain

Private Registration - Make personal information for this domain private

SSL Certificates - Make this site secure

Site Confirm Seals - Become a trusted Web Site Registrant: Make this info private PayPal Inc. 2211 North First Street San Jose, CA 95131 US Domain Name: PAYPAL.COM Administrative Contact , Technical Contact : eBay Inc. hostmaster@ebay.com 2145 Hamilton Avenue San Jose, CA 95125 US Phone: 408 376 7400 Fax: 408-376-7514 Record expires on 15-Jul-2010
Record created on 15-Jul-1999 Database last updated on 23-Jun-2006 Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS NS2.SC5.PAYPAL.COM 64.4.244.71 NS1.SC5.PAYPAL.COM 64.4.244.70 NS2.NIX.PAYPAL.COM 64.4.240.71 NS1.NIX.PAYPAL.COM 64.4.240.70 Show underlying registry data for this record
Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC. IP Address: 66.211.168.65 (ARIN & RIPE IP search) IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-CALIFORNIA-CAMPBELL Record Type: Domain Name Server Type: Apache 1 Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK Web Site Status: Active DMOZ 4 listings Y! Directory: see listings Web Site Title: Welcome - PayPal Secure: Yes E-commerce: Yes Traffic Ranking: 1 Data as of: 25-Jul-2006

It got jumbled up when i put it in the quote tags, but if you use whois you can see what websites registered to who and whatnot. Anyways, do they match? you decide

Its super easy to do wot he did - you simply get a paypal e-mail that was sent to you copy and paste intoa new message and change it all around to fit what you have bought. Dont touch it, relist and dont send to Nigeria.

Ummm...

paypal.co.uk is the british site equivellant of paypal.com.
if you follow the link www.paypal.co.uk/uk it actually redirects to paypal.com. it's a very standard practise for people to buy all the domain names that pertain to their name because it stops people camping on their domains.
hence the reason that sites like microsoft own all the domains that have microsoft.toplevel

if the money is in your paypal account it is as good as yours...
I suggest that you wait a few days and transfer the money to your bank account...
there are several hooror stories of people thinking that they've recieved money from paypal, sending items, only to then find out that the person doesn't actually have the money, and the funds are returned to them, in the same way that a cheque might bounce...

ebay probably stopped the auction because it recieved a high bid from a country known for it's scam artist. (racial profiling FTW!!!).

the best thing you could do, (IMO), do not under any circumstances try to send the money back thorough paypal. if you send a few thousand dollars to return the money her sent you, then his gets returned you've atcually lost that money,

Paypal is not a bank nor a money escrow service! -they are not very helpfull either when people do scam you!

the best thing to do, as I said is wait a week, if the funds are still in your Paypal account and not returned,transfer the money to your bank acount and wait another week. (you'll have to pay a business chanrge to paypal for transfering a large amount since they'll see you as a business customer then. once you've transfered the funds wait another week to make sure that they are transfered and that they will not be returned.

assuming it's been two weeks, and the money is safely in your bank then go and talk to the bank to make sure that the funds have properly cleared. (usually banks will let you spend the money whilst it's still on promise from another bank, then if the funds don't clear they will just tell you you are overdrawn, and charge you for the problem.)

so if you've had the money a couple of weeks, it's out of your paypal accounts and in your bank. it's fully cleared, (which takes about 5-7 working days usually).

then I suggest that you bubble wrap th exbox and sen it to nigeria, and renew your faith in humanity...

if the funds suddenly disapear then you'll have neither lost nor gained nothing, and can easily relist the Xbox, compaining to Ebay about not having to pay the funds anymore.

p.s not every one who lives in nigeria is a technological criminal.

I got an email through my Hotmail account from Paypal. The paypal message said that the money was transferred over to my account already (the bogus $1415 for the XBox 360). I thought, "Oh man, that's a lot of money I'm getting just for a core system). But when I signed on to Paypal.com again to see if that money is really in my account, you guessed it, it's not even there. I just have my regular balance in there of $25.00, lol from a previous transaction. I just got an email back from PayPal confirming that it's a spoof. Damn, people are actually trying to play you even on ebay.

I didn't send the package because of all the suspicious acitivities and things just didn't add up. Like John123 mentioned, the email was wrong. I saw that space right before the @ symbol and suspected that, but wasn't 100% sure.

So eBay dropped the listing and I guess the transaction all got canceled. But guess what????? They're still freaking charging me $33.94 for stupid purchase fee as if I really sold it!!!!! If they canceled the listing, wouldn't you thing that the fees get dropped? I can understand paying the insertion fee because it was actually listed, but the item was never purchased because of the strange activity eBay detected and took it off. I shouldn't have to pay that, or do I?

Back
Top Bottom