What do you think of this set up (tower + monitor)?

jonnyb302

Beta member
Hello, I am a 20 year old physics major from the united states. I currently have a lap top and I am considering buying myself a home PC set up.

Here is the tower I am considering:
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AM3400-U4132 (PT.SF702.014) Desktop PC Phenom II X4 955(3.2GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity AMD Radeon HD 6570 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

and here is the monitor:
Newegg.com - ASUS VE Series VE208T Black 20" 1600x900 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 10,000,000:1

What I would be using them for:

-Programming in Fortran 97 and compiling the programs

-Plotting data in Gnuplot

-writing up lab reports in LaTeX

-I would probably make the tower duel boot with Linux as it would allow easier communication between LaTeX and Gnuplot.

-I also need to be able to handle duel screen, as of right now the 2nd monitor is a CRT with a VGA input, but at some point in the future I want the option to expand to a second LCD monitor.

-Playing video games purchased off of steam (I don't need to be able to play Crysis 2 on max but I would like to know that I can play new video games on low to med settings.)

-Money is an issue and the current set up is about as much as I would be willing to pay total unless just a little bit more money would make a noticeable improvement

- I also intend to hook up my ps3 to the monitor through an HDMI to DVI cable, I thing this can only be an improvement as right now my ps3 is on one of the really old school style TVs that only have coaxial cable inputs.

Thank you all for any help you give me, it is very appreciated.

Jonny B

For the price and what you mainly need to use it for, it's not a bad pc. You may want to bump up the video card once you want to play more graphic intense games and possibly your power supply. Since most video cards now-a-days have every hookup imaginable, except coax, you should be fine with most monitor choices. I went with a tv/monitor 32". I fugured, two birds - one stone.

mhmm, well since I don't get to play many video games during the school year, if the graphics card works for anything I play this summer I should be fine till next summer when I could upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom