What do you think of this rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol a 42" monitor at 1080p? what are the pixels gonna be the size of peas? def need a better resolution for that size. i have a 27" 1080p and wouldnt go above that

Alright, I read the article. A critic picking apart the mobo. While I have to agree with him, the least you could do is suggest a better Z68 chipset LGA1155 mobo.

I was on my lunch break so the least I could do was warn you about that mobo, which I did.

Here's my second warning, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Area85Gaming said:
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing (Please don't suggest the Noctua DH-14. Well aware of it and I chose the 212 as the better cooler versus price)

Your spending all this cash but your going to buy a $25 heatsink because its the better cooler versus price? The NH-D14 is a large clumsy heatsink so I can understand someone not wanting to go that route. But it sounds like you plan on working the cpu pretty hard so I would suggest looking at the Corsair H80 or H100.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

If you do decide to stay with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ then I suggest you look for some memory modules with shorter or standard size heatspreaders as they can interfere with the heatsink fan.

Good - Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Better - Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

I would go with the OCZ Vertex 3 over the Crucial. OCZ has released a new firmware for the problems a few people were experiencing.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f38/ocz-sandforce-2200-based-firmware-fix-250399/

Here's a link to my Vertex 3 review.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f38/ocz-vertex-3-120gb-ssd-250232/

Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

or the Agility 3 is a little cheaper.

Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Dual GTX 580's in SLI really isn't need for 1920x1080 regardless of the monitor size. You should look at a dual or triple 24" monitor setup, or drop one of the GTX 580's.

I completely apologize about the double post. I believe one of the posts said it needed to be reviewed by an Admin first and I totally forgot about that.

The thing is, I would love to have the total surround 3x monitor setup, so should I look at a good mobo without SLI support? Also, I like the Hyper 212+, but you are right about it being a massive cooler. I will look into the H80/H100.

Question:

I have read a few articles and have always come across the Crucial M4 series SSD as being the top notch SSD on the market followed by the OCZ line. Now you said that OCZ came out with a new firmware for their products. What exactly was the problem the SSDs were experiencing?

Reason I asked is because I looked pretty heavily at the OCZ Agility 3, but shied away from it after reading reviews (not that I trust most of them). I just want an idea from a personal experience stand point.

EDIT: I have done an overhaul on my rig specs. I will update them later, since I'm just on break right now. I'm still not sure about my choice of MoBo, so any help would be nice on that. I went back to the 3x Monitor Surround. Still stick with the MSI Lightning Extreme's just not bridging them in SLI.

SLI is required for Nvidia Surround.

Lol. That's what I thought, so what exactly do I need for Surround? Cause I am getting different answers here.

EDIT: Judging by the nVidia website requirements, you can 2-Way SLI GTX 580s and still have surround...or am I reading this wrong?

If you're sticking at 1920x1080(1200) SLI 580s are a bit overkill. I mean, I get 70-80 fps with BF3 (probably the most modern PC game, graphically) maxed with just crossfire 5870s which I paid 380 bucks for 6 months ago.

I read he wants Nvidia surround. This means he will either have to go SLI with whatever card except the 560ti 2 Win which allows nvidia surround on a single card and can't currently be put into an SLI configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom