What do you think of this build? Budget of 1000-1500

WestonX64

Beta member
Hello! I know you all must get millions of these threads but I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck with the new system I am building. I'm going to start this thread by filling out a quick reference I found on another forum...

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week or two.
Budget Range: $1000 - $1500 after shipping and I prefer not to tie my money up in rebates.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video games (RenegadeX on ultra settings, MineCraft with SEUS shaders installed, Red Alert 3 on ultra settings, Battlefield 4, Borderlands 3), YouTube / Netflix / Hulu, School work (I'm attending school online while I work full time), and Fiddling around with things like Blender / GIMP / minor coding and website design (I'm trying to learn).
Are you buying a monitor: No - I'm using a 23" 1080p TV as a monitor.
Do you need to buy OS: Yes - I was thinking about Windows 8.1
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More! and Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!
Location: Northern Kentucky (just South of Cincinnati, Ohio).
Overclocking: Yes I plan to overclock my CPU (hopefully to around 4.5Ghz and possibly my GPU if I am able.
SLI or Crossfire: No. I don't think I'll go quite this extreme but it would be nice to have the option if I decide to in the future.
Your Monitor Resolution: Currently I'm using a 23" 1080p TV on my desk as a monitor but I'm not sure if this is the best option. If you know of a great monitor to get, let me know!
Additional Comments: I would like a decently high performance machine that can run most games with higher graphics settings. I would also like one which has a side window that would allow me to see all the parts on the inside and one which runs fairly quiet. Cooling is a big focus for me too and I wouldn't mind tips and tricks on cutting down on power consumption. If you think the power supply I picked is way too much, let me know.

The reason I am building a new computer is that my laptop now isn't quite cutting it. I have an HP 17" full HD laptop with an i7 quad core processor, 8Gb 1600 memory, and nvidia GT 650m graphics with 2Gb video memory. Most of the things I do on my laptop, it can handle with ease, but when I try to play games, I cannot bump the graphics up very high or I get very low FPS and the lag begins to annoy me. Right now my laptop just sits in one spot on my desk and I never move it anyway, so now I'm planning to build a more powerful desktop computer and sell my laptop. On my laptop, when I play MineCraft with SEUS shaders installed (with the stock texture pack) I am only getting 10FPS at most. Also, my laptop gets really hot even with the cooling fans I have under it which cuts into the FPS even a little more. From all the benchmarks I've been researching, the i7 in my laptop doesn't even compare to the higher end i3 desktop processors and is just blown away by the i5 desktop processors. Had I know this I probably would have gone with a desktop right in the beginning.

So, here are the parts I have picked out, please let me know what you think. Any feedback, opinions, or comments are much appreciated! If you see something you think I could do better, please let me know!

-Computer Case-
Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Titanium Grey Silent ATX Mid Tower Case
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!...
>$120
I picked this case because I really like the sleek design and didn't want something that looked bulky or drew too much attention to itself. I also liked the amount of effort the manufacturer put into trying to make the case quiet while also feature rich.

-Motherboard-
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97
>$215
I picked this motherboard because I have always heard that ASUS makes some high quality motherboards that keep their value longer. I've also read in a few places that the Z97 chipset will be easier to overclock on.

-Processor-
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W
>$340
I picked this processor because of the hyper threading it has. I chose this to try to future proof my build and I have also heard that some games (like Battlefield 4) are actually starting to utilize 8 cores / virtual cores.

-Memory-
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
>$90
This RAM has excellent reviews, is Cas Latency 9, and runs at 1.5v - which is why I chose it (and I liked the design)

-Graphics Card-
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
>$260
I was researching and looking at all the benchmarks on anandtech.com and this graphics card seemed to have the most bang for the buck. Also, I have always had really good luck with EVGA in the past. However, with so many options in graphics cards out there, I would like your suggestion on this matter...

-Power Supply-
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
>$130
I picked this because corsair is a good brand and 750 (to me) seemed like a good amount. Honestly, I am not 100% sure if I will need all that.

-Extra Case Fans- X2
Fractal Design Silent Series R2 FD-FAN-SSR2-140 140mm
>$30
Just to make sure everything stays cool, if you don't think I'll need them, let me know.

-CPU Cooler-
Cooler Master GeminII M4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes
>$40
Like i mentioned above, I am planning to overclock my CPU to around 4.5Ghz if I am able to. So I assume the stock CPU cooler won't be sufficient then. I picked this cooler because it is better than stock without being massive and I can see the fan spinning through the case window which might be neat. Though, as always, I am open to suggestions.

-Wireless Adapter-
ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate 64-bit
>$30
I picked this one because it had good reviews (as does everything I've picked) and again I have heard that ASUS makes some quality parts.

Total Cost = About $1,320
So? What do you all think?

I'm a little busy to go over the entire build but on the MB, YES its a great board, A friend has the Z87 Hero BUT it doesn't do anything better than my Z87 board and have the same OC tools. It's just there competition series for bragging rights IMHO. I would go with a Standard Z97 Board and take the saved money and get a better GPU. The 760 is a good card but the 770 is better and the 780 is even more powerful, I like Nvidia myself but you may be able to get a little more performance for the dollar out of the ATI/AMD video cards so take a look at them also. But the MB is just overkill and won't be needed. There basically made for getting high bench marking scores and unless you want to compete then it would be just spending money for something you don't really need.

Dauntae

Hello! I know you all must get millions of these threads but I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck with the new system I am building. I'm going to start this thread by filling out a quick reference I found on another forum.

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97
>$215
I picked this motherboard because I have always heard that ASUS makes some high quality motherboards that keep their value longer. I've also read in a few places that the Z97 chipset will be easier to overclock on.
I picked this one because it had good reviews (as does everything I've picked) and again I have heard that ASUS makes some quality parts.

Save yourself some money and headaches in the long run.
GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper Z97 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
This would be better suited for your needs

This asus board is better than the one you wanted suited for your needs and less costly.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132118

Even though I don't use intel currently but I recommend you look into this before you lay down 330 bucks for the 4770k.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I74790 - Newegg.com

Everything else looks good.

Last edited:
Well, since you didn't list anything that actually would fully utilize HT, and no games don't use HT, then drop the chip down to an i5 4670k.

That being said, Asus makes decent boards but they are overpriced for what you really get. In other words on their more expensive boards you're paying for the name and some silly features you may never use. I personally prefer ASRock these days because they make some great boards for good prices, and they have been pushing the standard lately as well. For instance, they have the best M.2 slot between all the Z97 boards.
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

As for overclocking, there is 0% need to OC any modern Intel chip for any reason right now.

To the PSU, if you don't plan to go SLI or Crossfire anytime in the near future I suggest just getting a lower wattage unit, but the one you have picked is fantastic for the price. Up to you honestly. No single card setup should utilize more than 650w.

For your cooler, I suggest an H55 or H60 over any standard heatsink. If you want to invest in something you can OC with later you can grab the H80i but I've been running an H50 on my 3960x for a while now with no issues. (push/pull) And like I said, OCing is not necessary at all right now.

The only thing that I noticed is you haven't listed any HDDs. With a new build of this budget caliper I suggest grabbing at least a 120GB SSD. Something like the Samsung EVO is only about 80 bucks right now (should be anyways) and would greatly enhance the general snappiness of your machine.

With the cash saved on the parts I mentioned previously you can bump your GPU up to the 770 or R9 290. The r9 290 for 400 is a heck of a deal and offers better than 780 performance for the money.

Back
Top Bottom