What do you think of SSD drives?

Your statement doesn't jive with the benchmark numbers and performance benefits that PC magazines from Maximum PC to CPU to PCMag have seen.

There IS a difference, but it, like RAID 0 and other drive techs, depends on how you use your system. I don't do a lot with the C drive on this work PC, but if I used more intensive apps on the C Drive, it might be more noticeable.

Your statement doesn't jive with the benchmark numbers and performance benefits that PC magazines from Maximum PC to CPU to PCMag have seen.

There IS a difference, but it, like RAID 0 and other drive techs, depends on how you use your system. I don't do a lot with the C drive on this work PC, but if I used more intensive apps on the C Drive, it might be more noticeable.

I not saying SSD's are slow or bad performers. I'm just saying that the performance gains you get from SSD's are not worth the extra cash. Plus the other things I mentioned that go against them.

In benchmarks, there are differences. That's the point of benchmarks. In actual usage, the difference will be so small that you wouldn't notice it, except on bootup, and in some very specialized situations.

BTW, "SSD drives" is redundant. It's like saying "ATM machine" or "TTL logic."

No kidding that's what benchmarks are for, but I can also tell you that while I may not be floored by the 40GB Intel SSD I have in my work PC, it still boots a hell of a lot faster, and performs way better than our graphic artist downstairs who is using a 750GB boot drive with an identical configuration as mine (same CPU, motherboard, RAM, video card).

Right now though, I agree that the higher capacity drives just aren't worth it from a storage capacity, but if you already practice the C Drive is for OS, D and other drives are for data, there are some compelling reasons to get a smaller density SSD. If I hadn't bought one for my work PC, I'd never know what I was missing out on.

I'd prefer a drive to last years.
This computer is now 4 years old with the same Windows installation running RAID 1. Its had a few drives in its time because of bad luck I've had with drives, but the same installation.
If they had not failed, I would have kept the same drives for this period.

I'm only now having to switch to 2 new drives because I have another HD in the RAID1 array failing on me, and fancy moving up to 1TB's

Back
Top Bottom