What do think of this set-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dav536

Baseband Member
I am in the middle or end phases of my second build and thought I would see what yall thought of it.

Here it is:
KINGWIN KT-424-BK-WM Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window -

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATX AMD Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100105SR Radeon X800XL 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI-Express x16

Antec TRUE550 ATX 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, VDE, FCC CLASS B, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO------Not Sure on this have to find out if it is 24pin.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939

mushkin Redline XP4000 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive ---- I will be running 2 of these

NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner

Please if you see anything that I missed or should look into, let me know.

THanks,
Dave

I've got a very similar setup. A few questions: I'm not sure that your PSU is a 24-pin model (I see no mention of ATX2.X on the antec website, so I'd guess it's not). However, I do see that it does NOT have the 6-pin video card connector. I don't think you need it for the x800xl, but you definitely would if you upgraded the video card. Recommended PSU's for that mobo are:

-OCZ Powerstream 520 (pricey, but rock solid)
-Fortron Blue 500 (very good budget PSU)
-Enermax Noisetaker 485W or up (I've got the 485, works like a dream)

Personally, I wouldn't bother with 2 raptors (I assume that you intend to run them in RAID). Get one at most, and put the rest of the money into a San Diego cpu and/or a 6800GT video card. But that's just me.

Don't get the X800XL. That video card doesn't have the proper shaders (SM3) for upcomming DX9 games, so you will be stuck playing them in DX8.1 mode without all the extra eye candy. Get the GeForce 6800 GT, much better card, and you won't regret getting it. If you get the X800XL you WILL regret it.

Thanks guys, I was not sure on the power supply I just threw it on so I had some $$ value in my workup. I will look into the differnce between the 2 grafix cards. I was looking around on anandtech and there was only a little differnce between them on their test with the exception of Doom3. I dont like these style game, I will be playing mostly Battlefield 2 and StarWars Galaxies or the like.

Thanks again I will take all your suggestions into consideration,
Dave

Be sure to do your research on the X800XL vs. 6800 GT. Also, look at more than just benchmarks. The feature set is also very important. Look at what one has the capability of doing that the other does not.

I was looking around at power supplies for the above mentioned MB, would this one work with the DFI MB.

Antec TPII 480 480W ATX12V 20-Pin/24-Pin Power Supply

Thanks,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom