What course Program would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYL\X/3K

I know <html>, do you?
{George Brown College} Computer Systems Technology Program $ 2,600

or

{Sheridan College} Telecommunications-Technology-Co-op? $4,400

those 2 are between to different colleges and i would just like to ask which would be preferred in todays industries?

now i know that the co-op (Telecommunications) gives me a bigger advantage in employment & that the college is 15min away from me but is it worth the price?

the course in George.B is like 1.5hrs away from me and the college isnt really meant for Technology, but again its around $2,600 ($1800 less)

i dont know :/ pls help me out before its too late...
thnx

$1800 less, but what would be the difference once you figure in the cost of a place to live and food? Living at home and going locally may cost the same if not less.

And, yes, the name of the college on your diploma will mean something to those in the know. My sister turned down a full ride to the University of Tennessee because it was known as a party school. She went to Berry college and on to Auburn instead.

thnx for responding, im still gonna live at my parents place, i cant afford campus residence

i was accepted to George.B but still nothing yet from Sheridan , and Sheridan is a well known school... i might gonna have to call and ask them few questions..

Personally I don't think you should put a price on your education, but I know many do. I don't really have anything to say to you about the colleges though. Basically you should just go with your gut feeling. Compare the courses, schools, pros/cons, etc.

I'm mroe of the opinion that it's not necessarily where you go to school but what you do with the knowledge that counts. For example, my uncle went to the University of Winona, a school not really known for much of anything, for his bachelor's in business. Right now he's a real big wig, makes circa $250k/yr with a plastics company. As long as the school is of decent quality the rest is really up to you and how much work you're willing to put into it and how good you are at your chosen profession. A degree from a fancy school looks impressive but it's worthless if you're not good at what you do.

A degree from a fancy school looks impressive but it's worthless if you're not good at what you do.

That a really good point there.. and i must agree with it.

I dont really care how much $ ill be making for the rest of my life, its what i want to do that i like , is whats important. Making big bucks would be great tho

Im a really hands on person, that can fix practically anything that comes across me (once i figure out how it works) , but math isnt my real thing. I cant be working that involves heavy lifting because i got a collapsed hip, so office work or administration would be my best opportunity.

i must say that this is the most difficult time of my life deciding on something that ill be focusing for the rest of my life, since i CANT blow over that much $ since its only me and my mom....

What state do you live in? I would strongly recommend, then, that you get your Associate's degree at a decent community colege and then transfer the degree and your credits to a 4-year uni afterwards rather than do everything at one 4-year school. It's is a LOT less expensive that way since the first two years is all general education anyways. I'm doing the same thing right now and it was just my mom and I--currently just me since I moved out. Everything was actually fully paid for by state grants tuition-wise for me since we're so broke and you can just buy your text books from Amazon.com marketplace. It's about 1/3 the price to buy used books there than from the school's bookstore. So I've had hardly any out of pocket expenses for school yet.

Canada,
Mississauga, Ontario

My math skill isnt so great to get into University, hands wise im good at. i might just finish 3 year program at 1 of those 2 colleges and maybe transfer my credits to University. Its a difficult life right now....

I still cant make a decision on either Telecommunication or Systems technology.
I had a teacher from Sheridan College come in to my Computer Engineering class last semester and he said somthing of high demand in todays industry involving Telecommunications, i might gonna have to talk to my guidance councilor, becasue im starting to fre4k out about all this stuff..

Telecom FTW!

I went to school for Telecommunications myself and currently work in said industry.

I can't speak to much as to how the job industry is there, but here(Alberta) anyways the Telecom industry is booming and short on qualified people, while the IT industry is saturated with grads from tech schools/uni.

As for what school to pick....Go with whatever interests you more. If you start a course that you are less interested in, then you have a better chance of eventually dropping out or otherwise not succeeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom