What can I remove from my hard drive?

OneMarcilV

In Runtime
When I purchased my computer like 2 years ago I decided to only have the operating system (Windows XP) on the C drive. But now for some the drive which is a 80 gb Han just 1 gb left.

So what can I safely remove from that drive to free up space?

How many programs do you have installed? Are there any you don't need?

What else do you store on it? Photos/music (itunes)/movies?

Open the C: drive and check each folder to see which ones are taking up the most space and post back - right click-properties on each folder.

Whats saved on your desktop (that's on the C: drive as well).

How many programs do you have installed? Are there any you don't need?

What else do you store on it? Photos/music (itunes)/movies?

Open the C: drive and check each folder to see which ones are taking up the most space and post back - right click-properties on each folder.

Whats saved on your desktop (that's on the C: drive as well).

I will do that later in today.

CCleaner
Download CCleaner 3.27.1900 - FileHippo.com
Put a check in eveything but wipe free space. Run both sides of the cleaner till it doesn't find any thing.

Findjunkfiles
Find Junk Files - CNET Download.com
Run until it doesn't find anything.

Windows has log files it generates also with event files. And other assorted garbage. You have to clean out the junk content every so often or it can fill up a drive.
When you get done with those you can run this defragger program and get things organized once again.
Disk Defrag - Best Free Defrag Software For Your Hard Drive
Use defrag and optimize. Takes a while to get finished but well worth the wait.

Also check out this:

SpaceSniffer download

you may find you have some rather large folders / files that you don't need.

Safest bet with this though is if you are not sure what the folder / file is for, Google it. If you are still not sure, leave it alone.

Another +1 for Spacesniffer from me. I use it all the time on our servers to find hidden log files that are taking up gobs of space. Very handy if you want to get into it yourself.

CCleaner
Download CCleaner 3.27.1900 - FileHippo.com
Put a check in eveything but wipe free space. Run both sides of the cleaner till it doesn't find any thing.

Findjunkfiles
Find Junk Files - CNET Download.com
Run until it doesn't find anything.

Windows has log files it generates also with event files. And other assorted garbage. You have to clean out the junk content every so often or it can fill up a drive.
When you get done with those you can run this defragger program and get things organized once again.
Disk Defrag - Best Free Defrag Software For Your Hard Drive
Use defrag and optimize. Takes a while to get finished but well worth the wait.

I downloaded this programme and seems like it located a zillion junk files. Deleting them now.

I ended up with 2.87 GB of space on C Drive. Still not much but better than under one gigabyte.

Removed 1727 files.

Defraging drive now.

I wish that I could install Windows XP and boot off of my external 80GB hard drive. Then I could delete more filed from C drive.

I have not downloaded the other files recommended to me. After defrag finishes I will do that.

I already had CC Cleaner.

I am using the disk defrager that came with FIND JUNK FILES.

Last edited:
Put your data files on the external drive, they don't need to be on the system drive. Uninstall any programs you don't use. The basic XP install itself is less than 5GB IIRC, so you either have a lot of data files, lots of programs installed, or a lot of both.

Back
Top Bottom