Well Im Happy

ssc456

Fully Optimized
well a week or so ago i posted a thread bout putting 3Gb RAM in a board that says max 2Gb

heres my motherboard, http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...-1&DetailName=Specification&MenuID=44&LanID=0

and if you scroll down you can see under memory

Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture
2 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 2 GB
Support DDR2 667/533/400 DDR2 SDRAM

now i jave jus placed 3Gb of DDR2 667 Mhz RAM in it bios propted me 3Gb was inserted windows booted find and look
shock.jpg

3GB lols i wonder if i bought another 2GB stick lol just seems weird why would they say it can only take 2Gb when it boots fine with 3Gb ?

is there anything i should look out for im monitoring my RAM temps at mo jus incase nothing unusual, i did have a beep code at first but jus took it out put it back in and it worked,(think it wasnt seated proper)

so hey im happy :)

Wow,Thats Strange! There would have to be some reason they put 2gb max.Do a benchmark with 2gb,and then with 3gb,Maybe the motherboard performs better with 2gb.This happend with me once.I had 512mb,and bought a 1gb stick and put it in,and i noticed quite a difference,it was way slower lol.

seems bout the same at mo coz i only got like 1 IE windows open can you reccomend a good benchmark software,

think pc wizard 2008 hasd one ? and i got that installed at mo is that ok ? or is there something better ?

ok just did some benchmarks on some random software i found and heres the resluts, (i havent looked yet so no doubt ill edit in my comments.)

first with 3 GB installed.
3gb.jpg

now with 2Gb installed
2gb.jpg

to try and make it as fair as possible i rebooted before each test and counted 60 seconds from when i hit enter on my password to when i started the test both times

interesting how with 3Gb the memory mark was higher but the pc mark was lower ?????

doesnt seem like any huge performance decrease to me just seems like its not running in dual channel with 3GB ???

lets look

You sure when you read the motherboard specs you weren't looking at the max per slot?

well i posted a link so take a look yourself, i also posted a quote copy and pasted from the website check my first post

Intel says you can run 4GB of memory on that board, however for some reason ECS only says 2GB???

"2 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 2 GB"

This line could be interpreted a few ways, but reading it it seems like they might be saying each socket. It's just worded VERY poorly.

"2 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket support up to 2 GB"

This line could be interpreted a few ways, but reading it it seems like they might be saying each socket. It's just worded VERY poorly.

Yes extremely poorly. Everywhere lists the max supported memory for the board, not the slot which makes it very werid

Back
Top Bottom