Tatune

Solid State Member
- R5 3600
- Asrock pro4 b450 mobo
- Asrock 5600xt
- Dark Rock Pro 4 from Be quiet
- A case
- Some fans

Just built my first system a little while back, maybe 5 or so months ago. Got off to a great start, great numbers in games, lightning fast multitasking, etc etc... Well about a week ago I booted my PC and the case fans turned on, but the CPU fans did not. It sat there half running for a while, no post. My monitor never recognized a signal at all. PSU- On/Off, remedied. It booted immediately and I continued on as normal. Fast forward to tonight, it just did it a second time. Exact same thing, but I had to on/off the PSU twice. Now it is up and running full strength it seems. No hardware changes at all recently, and no software changes I know of. I OC'd it to I think 4.175, I would have to double check. Either way, I did the long way of overclocking and adjusting voltage in tiny increments till I got something that would stress test Bueno. Under the crazy-unrealistic stress test load it doesn't go above 83 or so... In games I don't normally see over 60 degrees.

This sounds a lot like what my nephew's rig was doing. It turned out to be a stick of RAM flaking out. We RMA'ed the mobo twice, and then I finally started swapping parts from my rig to his and we found the culprit as the stick had finally gone tits-up.

His specs are:
- R5 3600
- AMD Wraith MAX RGB cooler
- AsRock X570 Steel Legend
- 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill Trident Z 3200
- EVGA 1550Ti
- Corsair 650W
- Thermaltake Commander C36 case

This sounds a lot like what my nephew's rig was doing. It turned out to be a stick of RAM flaking out. We RMA'ed the mobo twice, and then I finally started swapping parts from my rig to his and we found the culprit as the stick had finally gone tits-up.

His specs are:
- R5 3600
- AMD Wraith MAX RGB cooler
- AsRock X570 Steel Legend
- 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill Trident Z 3200
- EVGA 1550Ti
- Corsair 650W
- Thermaltake Commander C36 case
I have suspected the ram... I got a stick that is known to be ok with Ryzen, but also not on the recommended sheet for the mobo/cpu, I didn't know it existed when I built my rig. That being said, they have worked thus far, and pass stress tests, maybe I should run some more stress tests NOW and see if we are still gucci....

Did you just get new ram and see the problem resolved?

Actually I pulled a couple of sticks out of my machine and put into his and it fired up just fine. So then we tried each one of his and one tested good and the other bad. I RMA'ed the bad stick since RAM is basically lifetime warrantied.

This is also common for AMD stuff lately after last years AGESA updates. My machine did NOT do this at all for years until I updated my bios late last year. In fact it still does this randomly and simply hitting the reset button makes it fire right up. Latest bios update I did with resizable BAR update made it do it less frequently without touching anything.

Gotta wonder about the quality of memory out there today. Last summer I built a pc and by October it was running very buggy, with random crashes and such. Ran Memtest and found a bad stick of memory, did the RMA thing and it is o.k. now. Then in December I had different pc had another bad stick of memory but this time I can't get an RMA because I split up a matched set and they want both sticks for RMA and I can not recall what I did with the other stick.
The first pc from October was an Intel pc and the one in December was an AMD. I could see one pc in a year with bad memory but two in the same year... almost unheard of

Last edited:
Haven't had any bad RAM since I last used G.Skill. Been running Corsair since 2014 and not a single bad stick.
The off off brand of DDR3 I bought is also still running everyday too (purchased 2019).

Just checked my records... the first one was GSkill and the one in December was Patriot. I too have Corsair in my home pc's and never had an issue with that brand. These are all DDR4 memory modules.

Trotter's issues also show G.Skill. The only DDR2 I had fail on me was also G.Skill, but then I have an 8GB kit of Ripjaws from my old 2500k build and those still work. Luck of the draw on them I guess.

I never ran inti an issue with doing an RMA on anybody's brand of memory.... except the fact that if you buy a matched set, they want that matched set back even if only one module is bad

Back
Top Bottom