Websense

MidnightShadow

Night Ninja
Our organization uses Websense. Long story short, we are looking to allow staff to have e-readers of some sort. I'm just looking to keep ahead of the game and need to know if anybody knows, or can point me in the direction of, the location of a whitelist of URLs and IPs that would be used to access the popular stores such as iTunes, the Amazon store (from the Kindle), etc. It's not my department, but I was asked to help try to find those.

I contacted Amazon chat support, and they were less than helpful. I may have just gotten the wrong person. I'm currently waiting on Apple support, but I figured that there must be a whitelist out there somewhere from folks who have already done this.

Could always load up WireShark if you have said devices available to test, and check the traffic destination when trying to access the various stores.

Yeah, the department that controls Websense can do that, but it's difficult to get them ready for it (they are in a different building) and then they tend to miss stuff that causes intermittent issues later. I mean, we could do it, too, I suppose... they use something else though, it's not WireShark. I might have to install that and test it, though.

A friend of mine works support at Websense. I've asked him if there's something simple and easy that your department that controls Websense can do to help. IIRC there are free, maintained whitelists that you can subscribe to by category i.e. online shopping

A friend of mine works support at Websense. I've asked him if there's something simple and easy that your department that controls Websense can do to help. IIRC there are free, maintained whitelists that you can subscribe to by category i.e. online shopping

Thanks Yami! Are those whitelists from Websense themselves? Or somewhere else on the web? If they're from Websense, I'll get in touch with them to get that information. I appreciate the input.

Thanks Yami! Are those whitelists from Websense themselves? Or somewhere else on the web? If they're from Websense, I'll get in touch with them to get that information. I appreciate the input.

No idea. He didn't respond to my question and then we talked a bunch about Windows 10, so I might not get an answer unless I bug him again. Sorry lol

LoL... no worries! I have put that on the back burner anyhow, so that department will have to pick it back up. I had some urgent projects and issues pop up. ;)

LoL... no worries! I have put that on the back burner anyhow, so that department will have to pick it back up. I had some urgent projects and issues pop up. ;)

I manage websense, Websense has the category's built in, and if they don't have the site in the category's, its rather easy to track down what need to be opened. The only problems I have run into in the past is when we were just using websense web filter without the content gateway. Without the content gateway or their cloud services, you wont be able to filter secure traffic correctly and will be nothing but a head ach. (today just about everything is using secure sites, and rightfully so). But my guess is if the company is willing to pay for websense in the first place that that they would not short change their selves and only go halfway.

Good Luck!

I manage websense, Websense has the category's built in, and if they don't have the site in the category's, its rather easy to track down what need to be opened. The only problems I have run into in the past is when we were just using websense web filter without the content gateway. Without the content gateway or their cloud services, you wont be able to filter secure traffic correctly and will be nothing but a head ach. (today just about everything is using secure sites, and rightfully so). But my guess is if the company is willing to pay for websense in the first place that that they would not short change their selves and only go halfway.

Good Luck!
Thanks! We got it squared away. :)

Back
Top Bottom