Web Pages not secure?

Kmac21

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, I have a question. So recently I've noticed that when I go into some websites (Specifically email, or eBay, or Paypal) that the locked icon in the address bar is not there, and instead is the triangle ! Icon, indicating it is not secure.

At first I thought it was just with my email, so I contacted Microsoft and they took control of my laptop and tried to find the error. However they told me it appears to be my browser, Firefox that is having the problem and to contact them. But it's not just Firefox, I've tried Safari, Chrome, IE, and all have the same issue.

So is this my laptops problem? Is it some kind of bug perhaps? Or should I contact one Apple/Google/IE?

Does anyone have any idea on what it might be?

Thanks

BUMP

Ran it through a site and got these errors for one of the sites I ran:

SSL certficate is using SHA-1 algorithm that expires after 2015. You should re-issue your SSL certificate as SHA-2 to avoid padlock warning in Chrome and Firefox.

Website returned an error (Possibly 404 not found or other webserver error). Details:
HTTP/1.0 200 OK

Anybody???

Very strange issue! Almost sounds like you have a messed up certificate authority list or something. Unfortunately not sure how to go about troubleshooting that off the top of my head...

edit: can you go to https://google.com and click on the ! icon you say appears? Does it give you any further info or ability to view the certificate? If so, please screenshot any and all info and post it (just upload to imgur or something and link with

Last edited:
Very strange issue! Almost sounds like you have a messed up certificate authority list or something. Unfortunately not sure how to go about troubleshooting that off the top of my head...

edit: can you go to https://google.com and click on the ! icon you say appears? Does it give you any further info or ability to view the certificate? If so, please screenshot any and all info and post it (just upload to imgur or something and link with tags)[/QUOTE]

I was wrong, jumped the gun a little. It isn't showing a ! Icon, just it's blank, not showing the locked symbol. So I really don't feel comfortable using email, online banking, paypal, etc.

Also, it's only on my macbook. I went on Paypal, hotmail, aka the sites that I noticed aren't secure, on my phone and iPad and they both have secure connections on the same sites that on my macbook are not secure.

I'm wondering if it's since I upgraded to OS X El Capitan.

Ah, didn't realise you were on a mac. It could be that Keychain has permission issues.

Close all browsers you have open, then open Disk Utility (just type it in the spotlight search bar to find the app) then select your drive (probably called "Macintosh HD") and click "Repair permissions".
repair_permissions.jpg

Ah, didn't realise you were on a mac. It could be that Keychain has permission issues.

Close all browsers you have open, then open Disk Utility (just type it in the spotlight search bar to find the app) then select your drive (probably called "Macintosh HD") and click "Repair permissions".
repair_permissions.jpg

Apparently with the new OS El Capitan that isn't an option to manually do anymore, it's all automatically done with updates and such.

Oh dear god so it is :S that'd be great if it worked 100% of the time, but I doubt it does.

In any case, definitely sounds like it might be a Keychain issue - can you open the Keychain app? Does it pop up any warnings or errors?

Nope, nothing popping up errors or anything.

It's only for a select few sites though. Twitter, Youtube, Instagram, Amazon, etc are all secure, it's just for my email and paypal, online banking.

I really have no idea, who to go to, or what to even have done for it.

Hope this is a simple fix, but strange how its all the sites that have your private data/ credentials lol... MiTM attack... JOKING :cool:

Have you checked to see if you get these errors in a windows environment?

Well not allll of them haha. Youtube, Gmail, Twitter, Instagram, Dropbox, and I tried going onto various sites that require you to put in credit card info and such, all secure. It's just a select few, and microsoft assistance says it's a Firefox issue, but it's on Safari and other browsers too.

And no, I'm on a macbook and not familiar on how to boot Windows on a Mac. It is only on this macbook though, Phone, iPad, a friends laptop, all are perfectly secure.

Back
Top Bottom