Web browsers slow to load up webpages

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
I've used Firefox on my two PCs (XP) and two laptops (XP and Win7) for years. I've noticed more recently that all of them seem to have problems with loading up web pages compared to how older versions of FF were working.

I've tried using IE and Opera as well and they seem to be slow as well. All computers are running either AVG or Avast antivirus software.

If I try to open something, I can look down in the left side of the lower task bar and it will either say, "waiting for .........." or "transferring from....... " Regardless of which it is, I endure a slow painful page load up.

I've noticed this when traveling with my laptops so I know that its not just a problem with my home's internet and/or router. Some websites are worse than others because of bandwidth (I assume!)

Is it just that the web is being bombarded with so many advertisements, cookies and spyware that browsers are forced to "work harder" resulting in slower web page loading?

I've got little to no patience and I'm very sensitive to how my computers are running. In other words, I notice things like this and even my wife has noticed slower web page loading.

Danny

I forgot to mention that both laptops have recently been reformatted so they are fresh.

It is not ads. Cause you can hide them/disable them. This would be due to the connection and the number of people on it. Simple as that. Do you have WPA2 Security with a strong 16 character password that would take any brute force program at least a couple of days to crack? Or do you have some simple password that can be guessed by just about anyone who knows even a small detail about you?

What is your ISP speed as reported by SpeedTest.Net?

What extenstions do you have running?

What other programs do you have running?

How much RAM is in use? How many CPU Cycles?

Everything comes into effect. Sorry to inform you but no PC will stay as fast as it was the very first day you bought it. PC Hardware wears down. It starts to slow down. It is a fact of the industry. Even on a fresh install you can have more wear and tear on your hard drive causing read times to be longer.

It is not ads. Cause you can hide them/disable them. This would be due to the connection and the number of people on it. Simple as that. Do you have WPA2 Security with a strong 16 character password that would take any brute force program at least a couple of days to crack? Or do you have some simple password that can be guessed by just about anyone who knows even a small detail about you? I'm only using WPA but my password isn't a simple, personal detail password. Since its not WPA2, I'm sure it can be hacked and I think that I'm going to go with WPA2 just to be more secure.

What is your ISP speed as reported by SpeedTest.Net? I ran 3 tests of my Comcast cable with the ethernet cable plugged into my wife's 1 yr old Toshiba Satellite Win7 laptop and got these results: Download 9.4, 8.95, 9.26

Upload 1.43, 1.45, 1.43 and pings of 84, 83, 83

My wifi speeds were 8.53, 8.10, 8.92 down and the uploads and pings were pretty much the same as with the ethernet cable.

What extenstions do you have running? No FF extensions

What other programs do you have running? Nothing. We only use our computers to surf the internet and send emails. The task manager says that there are 50 processes.

How much RAM is in use? How many CPU Cycles? Wife's Win7 has 2G and all three of our XP computers have 1G of RAM each. I don't know about CPU cycles but the task manager is saying that the Win7 Toshiba CPU usage is at single digits. Physical memory at 31%

Everything comes into effect. Sorry to inform you but no PC will stay as fast as it was the very first day you bought it. PC Hardware wears down. It starts to slow down. It is a fact of the industry. Even on a fresh install you can have more wear and tear on your hard drive causing read times to be longer.

I travel for a living and I carry an older Toshiba with XP on it. Most hotels that I stay in don't have internet as fast as what I have here at home. However, my home internet does seem to be slower than it was 3-4 months ago with all of the "waiting for..... and transferring from....." that I see these days. My wife and I see it on all of our computers and I see it when I'm away from home. I thought that it might be Firefox.

Up until my wife's Toshiba developed it's problem 3 weeks ago causing us to reformat/recover, her computer was faster at opening web pages than all 3 of the XP machines. Of course it is by far the newest machine as well.

It is not ads. Cause you can hide them/disable them. How do I disable all of the ads that transfer?

This would be due to the connection and the number of people on it. Simple as that. Do you have WPA2 Security with a strong 16 character password that would take any brute force program at least a couple of days to crack? Or do you have some simple password that can be guessed by just about anyone who knows even a small detail about you?
As of today, I've now got WPA2 with a tough, 16 character password. I also updated my DLink's firmware. Even though I know I've done some good for the router, performance appears to be the same with the same ole "waiting for..... and transferring from...."

What is your ISP speed as reported by SpeedTest.Net?
Just to get a comparison, I called my grown son who lives in Shreveport, LA. He did a SpeedTest.net and got a speed of about 12+. Certainly better than my 9's.

Even though my wife's laptop only has 2G of memory, up until 3 weeks ago, for surfing the internet, it was always very fast. We were impressed.

This "waiting for ....." and "transferring from....." is really starting to annoy me. I'm having to wait an awful long time for web pages to fully load up.

I just compared my XP laptop with my coworker's 5yr old XP laptop. We typed in MSN.com and hit "enter." His computer popped up the website a good bit faster than mine and his also said "Done" in the left corner of the lower task bar. Mine continued to display waiting for ... and transferring from ... for almost a minute before it finally said, "Done!"

He used IE and I used FF. I then tried it again on my computer with IE and it was the same long wait.

My wife's newer Win7 computer has the same problem and so do our two desktops at home. What is causing this? His Sony Vaio doesn't have this nasty problem.

Both my wife's and my laptops have been reformatted within the last month.

Please for the love of all things sane dont ask us to tell you what is causing it. We are not there working on the machine with you. We can not possibly know at all what is going on with them. There is no way for any of us to even remotely begin to guess what it causing it.

Along with the above question, what about checking for infections and other running processes?

In addition, dont quote our posts and respond within them. I dont look at the quotes cause it is my post in there. I dont need to read what i wrote. But now i see you responded within the quote instead of answering below or after the quote.

So the only thing left is to check for infections. Cause i see nothing out of the normal with your answers.

Okay, thank you for letting me know that my results are normal.

I just ran both a quick and full Avast scan and both come back with no infections.

CCleaner didn't make it any better either.

The task manager says that I've got 26 processes going. When I click on most webpages, the CPU Usage jumps to 100% or close to it.

Perhaps I'll format this computer one more time. If that doesn't make it load up web pages faster, I guess it's time to retire it. We'll try the same with my wife's computer.

Are you trying multiple browsers? Maybe just Firefox is taking forever? I would try Spyware Asylum. Just 2 programs wont catch everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom