We Live In Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
An interesting documentary called “We Live in Public”. It is a 2009 documentary by Ondi Timoner about the loss of privacy in the Internet age, which focuses on Internet pioneer Josh Harris.

On the 40th anniversary of the Internet, WE LIVE IN PUBLIC tells the story of the effect the web is having on our society as seen through the eyes of “the greatest Internet pioneer you've never heard of”, visionary Josh Harris. Award-winning director, Ondi Timoner (”DIG!”), documented his tumultuous life for more than a decade, to create a riveting, cautionary tale of what to expect as the virtual world inevitably takes control of our lives. Josh Harris, often called the “Warhol of the Web” through the infamous dot.com boom of the 1990's, founded Pseudo.com, the first Internet television network and created his vision of the future, an underground bunker in NYC where 100 people lived together on camera for 30 days over the millennium. He proved how in the not-so-distant future of life online, we will willingly trade our privacy for the connection and recognition we all deeply desire. Through his experiments, including a six-month stint living under 24-hour live surveillance online which led him to mental collapse, he demonstrated the price we will all pay for living in public.

TRAILER
NSFW - Language, Mature Themes

Anyways, this looks like an interesting documentry.

I saw it. The first part was interesting how it was going on about Josh Harris as he was founding Pseudo.com and JupiterResearch. Alot of the ideas that those 2 company where playing around with back in the 1990's are thing using today. Exspecially when it was coming down to things like webcasting and streaming media. The only killer on that back then was bandwidth where users where lucky to even have a 56k connection, let alone having an internet connection. Where Warhol said that every one wanted there 15 minutes of fame in their life time ; Harris was saying that every one wanted 15 minutes of fame per day.And we are pretty much see thating a lot these days with the internet with Youtube.

It was also cool on how the it showed how quickly the internet took off. The radio took 38 years to reach 50 million people. TV did that in 13 years. The internet was able to do that in less than 5 years.

Where this documentry gets strange is where it start going into the Quiet : We Are Public human experiment. However it did come up with some intereting points. I did like the point where they commented that. The entire We Are Public experiment was strange.

The following experiment of We Live In Public where Harris and his girl friend moving into a house where every thing was monitored. Reminds me of shows like Big Brother and other Reality TV shows. However this experiment did show how some people (friends or lovers) become more apart when they a connected online. Some thing that I can relate to vary much.

Even though the gets strange in the middle and depressing towards the end. It's very interesting how every thing he's pioneered things like Youtube, Facebook and various other social networking sites.

Over all, even though it did get a little strange and depressing, it was still and interesting watch. Keep in mind that this documentry is for mature viewers as there is mature theams, course language, nudity and sex in this doco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom