we all almost died

esa193

Fully Optimized
http://gizmodo.com/5383799/an-asteroid-could-have-killed-us-tonight
200942822022287.jpg

Rejoice, because you are alive: An asteroid named 2009 TM8 just passed only 216,000 miles from Earth, racing at 18,163mph. That's closer than the moon. But don't worry, there'll be plenty of opportunities to panic, says the JPL:
If it's typical density, it would create a 4 kiloton explosion in the Earth's atmosphere if it were to hit, which of course it won't. You'd expect an object of this size to fly within the orbit of the moon every few days or so.
That's what Don Yeomans—manager of the Near-Earth Object Program Office at Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California—said talking about 2009 TM8 and the other 7 million objects in the near-Earth space which, "needless to say we have discovered only a small fraction of them."
Great. At 30 feet, something like 2009 TM8 is not as big as the killer Apophis or as the superkiller that can destroy everything on Earth. But who cares about destroying everything when this thing is large enough to annihilate Brooklyn.
Ah well, as if I needed any excuses to celebrate after this sodding Friday. Zacapa rum, here I come. [MSNBC]

Send an email to Jesus Diaz, the author of this post, at jesus@gizmodo.com.

this is messed up in our day and age that we should even have to worry about this issue! i want full funding for NASA moon, mars, and asteroid detection! were wasting billions on BS when we could be having real innovations made only possible by pushing the limits

i beleive we should fully invest in this as well,
but i know someone will post something dumb like "omgz what about healthcare!"

meh..

healthcare<Killer Space Rocks

meh..

Well with Killer Space Rocks we're going to need that health care. :p
Hell in this situation we are going to need life insurance.

I agree we should pay more attention to what is heading towards the earth at 18,000+ MPH lol.
But I'm personally not that worried about it.

WTH is the point of watching out for one? So we have a heads up it's going to hit? It won't make a difference really.... It's not like we can stop it.

WTH is the point of watching out for one? So we have a heads up it's going to hit? It won't make a difference really.... It's not like we can stop it.

Eh, we could shoot it with something :D
Although I don't think we have anything big enough to do much ....

edit: also so we have time to stick our heads between are legs and kiss are arse goodbye.

meh..

Health is actually something that we can control in our lives, whereas flying armageddon space rocks is not.

It's like saying we should invest all our resources into making sure the sun doesn't explode and vaporize earth or gamma radiation from space.

We should worry about stuff that we have control over.

The people who are saying its pointless to invest because there is nothing we can to stop it are absolutely not making any sense.

The whole point of investing money and resources in the programs like these is so that we would come up with a method/solution for locating and destroying asteroids.

Scientists have more then several projects who they think will actually work. But as with any out of space project it will cost a lot of money. What good to invest in a health care when something like a global killer can wipe us all out with just one big big impact.

I'm not saying health care is not important, what Im saying is we should make the asteroid program to be in the top 5 world programs that needs to be developed/receive more funding.

If they had the slightest feeling that they could "prevent" an imminent Impact, Rest assured, The feds would give them ALL the money they need.

there are other catastrophic things that can destroy this world

astroids
volcanic eruptions
earthquakes
tsunami
global warming
black holes
global cooling
the sun
impacting other galaxies
nuclear warfare
biological warefare