WD Passport Portable Drives and alike... are they replaceable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm looking at a WD 160gb Passport Portable Hard Drive... the 2.5" kind that run off of USB power and don't require an outside power source. Are those drives just typical internal laptop drives? Like if I drop it and bust it, can I just newegg it and get a new laptop drive that fits the interface?

A friend of mine here has a Maxtor drive (same deal, just diff brand) and it looks sealed up tight. Just curious on what the scoop is.

Even if it dies from, say, a fall? Or don't they really ask questions with that?

I see the one I'm looking at has a 36 month warranty. Sweet dizzle.

I'm comparing two. I only need about 60 gig worth so anything more is a bonus.

70 bucks - Staples - 160gb Maxtor - 5 yr warranty - 8mb cache
80 bucks - Circuit City - 250gb WD - 3 yr warranty - 2mb cache

Leanin towards the Maxtor...

accidental damage won't be covered... so you have to make it seem like it wasn't a drop... sometimes they just don't bother asking questions

and don't get a maxtor, just go seagate or wd

yes they use a sata 2.5" hdd. you can get one off of newegg and replace it. i know because my dad had one and the controller died and he gave me the hdd to put it in my pc.

accidental damage won't be covered... so you have to make it seem like it wasn't a drop... sometimes they just don't bother asking questions

and don't get a maxtor, just go seagate or wd

Naw, I went with the Maxtor. In fact I bought the WD first and tested it on my laptop in the parking lot. I ended up returning it because the Maxtor was noticeably faster with the 8mb cache vs the WD's 2mb cache (they're both 5400 RPM drives).

Plus I really need to pinch pennies for Christmas... and besides, the Maxtor has 2 more years on the warranty. :)

Maxtor was bought out by seagate and since then they have gone bad to a little better and now worse again. Most the drives are seagates even have the labels still on sometime its just that they are the ones which don't get top marks in quality testing. I have a maxtor external its great don't keep anything important on it though its just my backup and has copies of my main program files so I can quickly pop it into someone else pc and happily use firefox with all the extras and themes I like :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom