Water got in laptop, not turning on. Also turns off charger that is plugged into it

utilityaddress0

Beta member
Some water got into my Dell Lattitude E6430 laptop, while I fell asleep and left it on. I woke up and saw that it was off, it didn't come on when i pressed the power button. I then noticed the charger had no light even when it was not plugged into the laptop. The light came on after a while in the laptop charger but as soon as I plugged it in the charger light turn off immediately. None of the indicator lights in the laptop came on during all this. I left it in an AC room for 3 days to dry out without the bottom case on and without the memory, cd-drive and hard drive. After re-assembly, I then tried the charger again and also a different charger but it was the same result. Can anyone advise me on what to do to get it working?

It sounds like it's pretty hosed. Water shorts out everything that run electricity so you have multiple damages.

The water has probably gotten to the motherboard and killed it. If you haven't backed you data up I'd take the hard drive out and plug it into another computer.

Thanks for responding. I think I'll try leaving it open in a warm environment for a while to see if that does anything. if not, I'll see what a repair shop has to say. Hopefully it gets revived somehow, I'll keep an eye out for anymore suggestions or information. Thanks again Celery and BK_123

As the others have said, your motherboard is most likely a goner. The power supply is turning off because there is a short somewhere on the motherboard that is overloading it. Looks like replacement motherboards for that model are around $90 USD on eBay. A repair shop can swap it out for you but you still have a risk of other components such as the keyboard and CPU being damaged too.

If the laptop was powered on when it got wet then most likely it was already damaged by the time you tried to turn it back on. Even if it wasn't already damaged, turning it back on before it was completely dry inside was a mistake.

Depending on how new and how expensive the laptop is, it may cost more to repair than it would cost to buy a new one.

I hope I'm wrong and you get it revived but I have my doubts.

I wasn't even thinking that I could get the motherboard online, I even see a better one for a reasonable price. Thanks to you all the information is really helpful. I'll keep you up to date with the status.

Back
Top Bottom