Watching TV on a computer. What is needed?

1nitwit

Beta member
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question...but. My wife wants to get me something for Christmas that will allow me to watch TV on my computer. (She hates my surfing habit. :) ) I haven't the foggiest idea what is involved in setting up my computer. I did a little research a few years ago, but I'm sure none of what I learned then is valid anymore.

My computer is cable connected if that helps any. Naturally I need to keep the price down. I did a down-and-dirty search this morning before work. Seems things have improved the past few years. What are my options? What is the best method?

Thanks.

I use a TV Tuner card. I have a cable box plugged into the composite inputs on my TV Tuner card, but most cards have regular coax inputs that will work as well. The card will most likely come with software that will allow you to view TV (or whatever you plug into the inputs such as a DVD player or game console).

Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't need to rent a cable box. I'm making less money than I was over 8 years ago thanks to this economy. Another bill is one thing I don't need. :(

Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't need to rent a cable box. I'm making less money than I was over 8 years ago thanks to this economy. Another bill is one thing I don't need. :(

You can plug the coax cable directly into the tv tuner card and get a limited amount of channels depending on if your cable company broadcast some of the channels in Clear QAM or not. Kind of a headache to set up this way, though. Another option would be to get a digital antennae to pick up over the air channels.

Back
Top Bottom